Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
vacuumfreak

How important is this feature on a sewing machine?

vacuumfreak
14 years ago

I am just wondering how important adjustable presser foot pressure is on a sewing machine. I bought a new sewing machine (an electronic Brother) to supplement my existing all metal antique. The antique is great for straight stitches (that's all it does) and free hand embroidery or monogramming since I can drop feed and release presser foot pressure... but the new one has a free arm and stretch and decorative stitches that will come in handy as well. Plus it's light weight plastic so that when I start going to classes I can take it with me without throwing my back out. But... it lacks adjustable presser foot pressure. It has drop feed, which I can't understand because the presser foot pressure is not adjustable. I can't believe any manufacturer would do that! In the book, it says that if you want to do free hand monogramming you need to buy the special quilting foot! That's terrible!

It's not a huge issue since the antique still has that feature... between both machines I should be able to meet all my sewing needs... they will probably compliment each other nicely. But... I'm just wondering how important it is... do any of you relieve the pressure very often? Does it not having that feature mean it's a bad machine? I know it's not a great machine, but that's really the only thing about it that bothers me.

I'm thinking about returning it for a Janome or Kenmore... about 5 years ago, I sold machines for Sears that cost less than this Brother and they felt and sounded (the motor is soooo whiny on this thing, maybe it's just because I'm used to the quality of the antique) a lot more solid. Still having fun playing with the button holes and decorative stitches though. I repaired a friend's jeans on it and it did OK until it got to the thick seam... then it stopped and I had to walk it manually. If only I could justify getting the model with the push button thread slicer... I can dream, right? But I digress....

Comment (1)

Sponsored
Castle Wood Carpentry, Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County