Return to the Sewing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
bathing suit lining question

Posted by cha_cha (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 20, 06 at 13:36

This is a bit of a delicate question. I bought a bathing suit with a boy-short style bottom and it has a seem that runs from the belly button area all the way down and up the back. This seems causes a umm, sort of frontal wedgie, that I didn't notice before I bought it, as I tried it on with underwear.

I ironed on a denim patch in the crotch thinking that the stiffness of the patch would fix the problem, but it didn't. Does anyone have any other ideas? I would really like to fix this issue because I like the suit, it just needs to be a little less revealing so to speak.

Thanks,
cha_cha

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: bathing suit lining question

Sounds like a design flaw/poor fit to me - maybe you need a full lining - or wear some panties w/ it....?

o

I wonder if you are trying to wear it higher than it is made to be worn. Don't pull it up as high & see what happens. If it is made to wear lower, maybe you can add a band at the top. Have you thought to try a thong panty with it? You would gain a couple of layers of fabric in front with less to peek out elsewhere.

o

Thanks for replying. It definitely is a design flaw that I think goes with having a seem running the way it does. I don't think that I am wearing it too high though, I don't particularly pull it up. I do have a friend that has experienced the same problem with her boy cut bathing suit. I will try wearing it with a thong, panty lines might end up being an issue though.

If anyone has any more suggestions of modifications that I could make to the suit, they would be greatly appreciated as well.

Thank you,
cha_cha

o

The only thing I can suggest is putting a band around each leg. There is really no way you can stretch material that is cut too small. Without seeing it I can't guarantee it will work and it's really a job for an experienced seamstress. Any sewing on a bathing suit is, because of the stretch. It might cost more than the suit is worth

o

Sounds like it might be too small/short thru the crotch. What about taking out the waist "band" and adding a bit more fabric to make the crotch longer?
Try measuring your crotch and compare to bathing suit bottoms crotch measurement.
Kathy G in MI

o

If the crotch is too high, you can make it lower by stitching in the seam a little deeper using a multiple stitch zig zag and cutting off the original stitching. You don't want to stitch it in deeper in the front or the back, but taper it in around the bottom of the curve, trying to keep the shape of the curve about the same....just deeper. I'd do this a little at a time ...maybe 1/4".... until I got it where it was comfortable. Or you might just want to baste it first to see how it fits.

The stitch should look like this as it will have sufficient stretch to work with bathing suit material.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Sewing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here