Return to the Sewing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What do I need to know about sewing with sheer fabric?

Posted by aok27502 (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 18, 09 at 13:16

I am making a formal gown for my SIL to wear to a formal wedding. It has a short jacket which is to be made of sheer fabric, and lined. Do I need to do anything special when sewing on the sheer? I've never used it except for things such as window treatments. I would be mortified if she were to move her arms dancing and the sleeve seam ripped out!

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What do I need to know about sewing with sheer fabric?

You should use a fine thread and a smaller needle around a 70 or less if you can find one that small. Your seams should be french seam. double check the measurements for the finish sleeve and you might want to add some more ease if they measure close to what you need. I usually lenghten the seam lenght a little also.

o

Ah, I had forgotten about French seams! It's actually been a while since I did any serious sewing, and years since I made a French seam, so I looked it up to refresh my memory. Several places said that it is, at best, difficult on curved areas such as sleeves, and at worst, unsuitable. Any tips on making the curves nice and neat? It's a bolero jacket, so just side seams, shoulders and sleeves.

Another related question: if I do French seams on the sheer, should I do the same on the lining, for the appearance? The fabric is dark green, so there is very little visibility through it.

o

take a look at men's dress shirts, the cotton kind. See how they did the seam at the shoulder. It is sort of opposite on the french seam...I think it is called a mock french seam. You could also set in the sleeves and then trim close to the seam and make a bias tape out of the sheer fabric and encase the raw edges in it.

o

Is the seam in men's shirts called flat felled? Or something similar to it. I don't think I want to try that here, because it has a sort of top stitched look, and this is very formal. But the bias tape is also a good idea, if I have enough fabric.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Sewing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here