Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lehuagarden

round kitchen tablecloths

lehuagarden
18 years ago

Has anyone made a round tablecloth for a 48in table? I don't want seams if possible; most fabrics come in 45 or 54in widths. Also I'd like to make two cloths: a longer one, say 100 in or so, and a topper of 70 in. for a french country look. Any tips or suggestions?

Thanks!

Lehua

Comments (23)

• hoerlel
    18 years ago

There is no way you are going to get a 100 or 70" circle out of a 45 or a 54" width of fabric without seams. I would cut one half of the fabric down the length in the center fold and sew each piece to the other half on the selvage edges. Those seams would be less noticable if they are off center.

To make a completely round tablecloth, fold the sewn pieces together into fourths. Then take a length of string that measures 52" or a yardstick (36") and tack it to the point of the fold and with a pencil (making sure that the string or yardstick stays straight and the fabric flat, move your pencil from one edge of the fold to the other for a complete circle when opened up. Hem as desired.

• Marg411
    18 years ago

The only way you'll probably find fabric wide enough, without making seams, is to buy a sheet, or find a fabric store which sells sheeting. Most fabric stores only carry sheeting in white. Even 60" fabric would probably need seams.

• msmeow
    18 years ago

I think they make 100" wide fabric for quilt backs - you may be able to find it at a quilt shop. I'm sure it would be 100% cotton (lots of wrinkles) and probably really expensive!

• kathi_mdgd
    18 years ago

They do sell 100 and 90 inch wide fabric at quilt shops for quilt backs,but it's usually only white,off white,blue or mauve.
    I'd say go with a pretty sheet and that will work well.
    Good luck.
    Kathi

• silver2
    18 years ago

Check on ebay or your fabric store for cheater quilt fabric. They have it 88-98 wide on occasion.

• ell_in_or
    18 years ago

Google: wide decorator fabric, wide quilt backing, 110" fabric, etc.

It is out there, but can take some digging to find. A fabric store I used to work at carried 120" toile in both red and blue. It was popular.

Here's two places that carry wide fabric for quilt backing. I have found some really great stuff - batiks, nice patterns, navy, forest green. There's lots more out there besides white, ecru, pink, and blue.

http://www.christianlanequilters.citymax.com/blank.html

http://www.fabric.com/q-150.html

• kathi_mdgd
    18 years ago

No sheeting isn't thin,unless you buy the cheapy stuff that's 180 thread count or less.Think about the sheets on your bed,are they thin??? Mine aren't.
    Kathi

• alison
    18 years ago

Maybe I'm just accustomed to much thicker tableclothes!

When I've made tableclothes, I usually use material from the home dec section that is perhaps the weight of a denim. Not so heavy as upholstery fabric; something that drapes nicely, but still has some heft to it.

• mar_cia
    18 years ago

Alison, I am with you...sheeting is pretty thin for a table cloth.

• alison
    18 years ago

Don't know if this helps you, lehuagarden, but I recently made a table cloth for my 48" round table from cheapo black "pleather" that came in (I think) 50" wide.

I cut a circle to fit the top with 1/2" to spare on the sides, then cut 4 strips that were 12 1/2" deep x 1/4 the circumferance of the table.

I sewed the long side of the strips to the outside of the circle, with the short sides just butting together. I just bought a grommet popper thing at a yard sale, and I plan to put a row of grommets on each of the short sides, then lace them up with a strip of cord.

I know that sounds a little goth, but I'm sure you could use a similar method to create any kind of slightly tailored cloth. And you could manage no seams across the top of the table without having to look for extra wide (and probably expensive) fabric.

Have fun! I don't do much sewing, but I have a whole wardrobe of table clothes!

• lehuagarden
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks to all for great references and ideas! Lehuagarden

• alex2004
    18 years ago

I just came back from a vacation in China. I visited a few window treatment places while I was there. I know that most of the home deco fabrics there are 110-inch wide, and the price runs from $10/m for the basic ones to $30/m for the fancier ones (not bad for double width). If you know somebody who is traveling to China, you could ask them to bring some back for you.

• User
    18 years ago

I use 1000 TC sheets on my bed. They are heavy enough to pass as a tablecloth. Try TJ Maxx or Homegoods for a full or queen flat sheet to get the yardage you need. Their prices are usually discounted. I get mine from that O site.

• lehuagarden
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Wow: I'm out of date...I didn't know sheets came in 1000TC!
    Thanks, Lehua

• ell_in_or
    18 years ago

Fabric.com has wide widths of fabric. They have broadcloth and some others. Lots of colors. Most are 108" wide and around $5/yard on sale right now.

Here is a link that might be useful: Wide Fabric

• pattysc
    15 years ago

I use to make round tablecloths for my kitchen table using 60 wide fabric but have forgotten how. I did not need any seams. The top of the table is 40 inches across. I did not have a very long overlap; didn't really need one because I did not want the hem to be "laying in someone's lap". Can anyone tell me how much fabric I need and how to make a tablecloth. Thanks, Patty

• damascusannie
    15 years ago

Patty--It sounds to me like you just cut out a 60" circle from the fabric and hemmed it up. That'd give you about a 9" drop around the table. If you want a shorted drop, just don't make the circle so wide. You'd need about 1 3/4 yards of 60" wide for a 60" tablecloth.

Annie

• birdtalker
    15 years ago

fabric stores used to sell tablecloth material which was really wide up to 90 inches or so. Haven't seen any since the chain store Joann's bought out the competition here and closed it down.

• mari_2008
    12 years ago

Hi there - I was looking up directions to make a table cloth and saw your post. I have an ebay store and have one bolt of 108" tie dye blue fabric. It's probably too late, but just in case - go to http://memascottonshop.com and look under the cateogy 54-108".
    Mari

Here is a link that might be useful: Mema's Cotton Shop

• new-beginning
    12 years ago

my Hancock's sells tablecloth fabric in several widths (my table is 54" wide) and I have found fabric there that must be 72" wide. Carolyn

• Kitah4911
    12 years ago

You can get 90 inch and 108 inch fabric at QuiltingQuest.net. 108 inch has some patterned fabric with prices from $7.99 to $10.99 a yard and alot of 45 inch fabric $ 4.95 up. They also sell on E-Bay.

• nanasaidso
    12 years ago

Personally, I'd use sheets, and double it. That would give you the heft you're looking for. You could use the same pattern, or two different patterns. Either way would be reversible. If you get a bold pattern, make sure it doesn't show through to the other side.