Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
donnas_gw

Making Bridal Veil

donnas_gw
9 years ago

Posted this below under "Making a bridal veil": We purchased tulle. Extra in case I needed it. I made a short veil last week with a narrow trim sewn all around the edge. Was not satisfied with the trim and that is my fault. I bought 3 spools of narrow scalloped lace with small white beads, resembling pearls. The beads are a continuous string of beads all the way down the center of the narrow lace.

There was only 2 yards of this lace per spool, and 2 yards is only going to go so far around the edge of a veil. Because of the small beads, I had no idea how to sew 2 strings of this lace together to make 1 long piece of lace. That probably would not have looked right either because I probably would have stretched the width of the lace trying to do so.

All I knew how to do was turn the beginning edge of the 2nd spool of lace under about 1/4" and place it over top of the end of the 1st spool that I had already applied, and keep sewing. I couldn't do that well enough so that where the 2 pieces of lace met would not be noticeable.

I'm only using one layer of tulle. Should I have done a rolled hem around the edges? (I didn't since I knew tulle would not ravel). I do have a serger, but haven't practiced doing the rolled hem yet. From what I'm understanding, the rolled edge is only done if you want to use 2 layers of tulle to make the veil.

I didn't use the above pattern. I found a bridal veil tutorial online and used that instead. It didn't take long to make. The most time consuming was sewing that lace on and getting the edges of lace/tulle even and trying to start the new string of lace. So....I'm going to try making another veil.

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Custom Home Works
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Franklin County's Award-Winning Design, Build and Remodeling Expert