Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
missemerald

Buttonholes and my old Kenmore Sewing Machine

missemerald
12 years ago

I have a very old Sears Kenmore sewing machine-- model 50, purchased around 1963 or so (older than me!). Anyway, it sews very well for what it does-- straight stitches and zig sag. Problem is, my latest project requires buttonholes and I don't have a clue as to how to do that on this machine. My mother in law said that when she used to have an old machine (since sold) it had a buttonhole device that you attached to it and it made buttonholes. I checked on ebay; there are a number of such attachments for old Kenmores. But how do you know which to get with a machine this old? Or is there a better way to do this? Please help!

Thanks!

p.s. Of course, I can't sew zippers either but that's another topic for discussion... :)

Comments (6)

• pris
    12 years ago

missEm,

I'm emailing you a copy of buttonhole instructions from my NewHome manual. My pdf program lets me attach to email but not here. These instructions are pretty basic and you'll just have to convert my zigzag instructions to your machine.

Hope this helps.

• qmarker
    12 years ago

I have a machine older than that and I did manage to purchase the button hole maker attachment. My machine is not a Sears but then the attachment I bought was not a match to my machine either. I think the presser foot is the key and I think they are all the same or similar in length. In other words your presser foot comes off and the button hole attachment goes on just like any other presser foot attachment. You just dial the size of the button hole and go.

On the other hand, I have made them using just zig zag as the other person might be sending you her instructions. Both work, but the attachment is easy and the button hole looks better than when I attempt to do one just with zig zag stitching and don't use the attachment.

If I were you, I'd buy the button hole attachment but I'd be sure I could return it.

Zippers are easier than button holes for me.

I looked around the web and found this site that has a vintage Kenmore one.

Here is a link that might be useful: Kenmore Vintage Buttonhole Attachment

• budster
    12 years ago

My late MIL had an old black Kenmore - she had a buttonhole attachment that came with hers and it worked like a charm. Call a sewing repair centre and have your model number ready and inquire if they can order you an attachment OR ask if they have a generic one that would fit (take the machine with you and get them to show you how it would work when you go pick it up). Check local thrift shops and see what they have..sometimes you can find exactly what you need for little cost. This means you would have to know if your machine is long or short shank....if you had another attachment like a zipper foot, you could hold it against the buttonholer and see if the shank is the same and screw is on the same side. I would definately call some repair places and get some prices or ask about old machine parts - some trade in machines are stripped of parts and attachments and you can get some great bargains. If you have a manual it should show you what the attachment for your machine looks like at least. I think if you need it soon, generic maybe the way to go. Budster

• jaceysgranny
    12 years ago

You can also look for the model number on the machine and go on e-bay or craigslist and look for one or post that you are looking for one on craigslist and someone may have an old one laying around you can get for less.

• carrollroberts
    8 years ago

I have a buttonhole attachment for a 1960's. If you want to try it let me know.

• Rose Pekelnicky
    8 years ago

Many old Kenmores used this buttonholer. You need the round shaft on the right side in the machine for it to work.

Some machines are not equipped for it.

Sponsored
KP Designs Group
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars50 Reviews
Franklin County's Unique and Creative Residential Interior Design Firm