Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
caninedesign

Newbie with a Rotary Cutter

caninedesign
14 years ago

I bought my first rotary cutter and self-healing mat a few weeks ago. I've had trouble with it from the very start. I could never get it to cut consistently. It would cut here and there, but never a continuous line. I'd always have to go over the cut with scissors. Yes, I took the safety off.

Then, yesterday, the 45mm blade snapped in half. I wasn't even pressing that hard. Clearly, I'm doing something wrong because metal blades just don't do that.

Did I get a junky cutter or it is newbie error?

Comments (5)

• budster
    14 years ago

Simplest thing, take your fabric you were cutting and the cutter itself back to the store, with broken blade (and sales receipt if you have it......but don't panic if you don't)and get them to show you the correct way to handle your cutter. It might be a cheapie, but it might be a dud or you could be doing something wrong.....I've never had a blade snap yet...and I've pressed really hard sometimes when cutting. I now own 2 cutters, having updated from my first cutter bought in the early 80's....so I can say, they do last if you l. have a good brand 2. cut correctly. Nope, take it and the fabric back to the store and ask for help......a blade snapped in half just is not right in my experience. MHO only. But let us know what happens please, it is always good to learn something new. Budster.

• loganhogan
    14 years ago

I agree with Budster. I wonder if the screw was too tight and if the blade wasan't actually turning.
    Susan

• kathyg_in_mi
    14 years ago

Fiskars has a free replacement gaurantee on all their cutting implements. I've sent back one of my rotary cutters and they replaced it, no problem, a plastic part had broken. Look on the back of a package in the store to get the info you need.
    Hopefully you have a Fiskars.
    Kathy G in MI

Here is a link that might be useful: Fiskars help

• caninedesign
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Wasn't a Fiskars...it was a Dritz. Unfortunately, I can't find the receipt. The screw was loosened and the blade was making contact with the fabric. Just wasn't cutting. I've watched a few how-to videos since I posted my question, and I think I was doing everything right.

I think I'm going to buy a Fiskars or an Olfie. I can get one for $15 while a pack of replacement blades will cost $20. Thanks everyone.

• budster
    14 years ago

I still say take the cutter and some fabric back to the store. Show them, perhaps they will give you another even if it is another Dritz take it and get them to demo it. I would fight for a replacement - and yes it is worth it to argue if you have to. Why be out the money spent in so short a time - but that is me, perhaps not you. Fiskars are great, the new one I have is a fiskar, my old one is some Japanese brand but hey after so many years it is still working so I can't complain. Take the Dritz back ! Budster

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?