Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
barb_roselover_in

Need some help with skirt

barb_roselover_in
11 years ago

Believe it or not, I was able to find a remnant of material that I want to make into a skirt. I would like it to be A-line but I don't want the extra at the sides. Would I split a straight skirt pattern and spread it apart so that the extra would fall on either side of the front and back? Do I make myself clear as to what I mean? I would appreciate the advice of you smart sewers. Thank you so much for your help. Barb

Comments (8)

• dowlinggram
    11 years ago

I don't think that will work. If you slit a straight skirt pattern you will be making an A-line skirt with the extra on the sides. I'm not sure what only siltting it part way would do. I think most skirts made the way you want are in a knit so they drape better. You might end up with something you wouldn't want to wear. Sorry I can't be more help

• noinwi
    11 years ago

Why not just use an A-line pattern?

• barb_roselover_in
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for your replies. I have seen pictures in say Threads or some other sewing magazine where they split the pattern almost to the waistband and then swing it out somewhat so that the fullness is better distributed more to the front and not necessarily to the sides==in other words not making you look more broad but more like a flare. I don't think I am getting across to you what I am thinking, but it is hard to describe. Barb

• evaf555
    11 years ago

I see what you're getting at. Yes, you can do that. I'd make a slit in the pattern so it would sort of fall in front of each thigh, with corresponding ones in the back.

Another approach would be to make a four-panel skirt, slashing each panel almost to the waist and spread. Now that I think on this, this might yield a better result for "flare" instead of fullness.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    11 years ago

I'm not sure what you are suggesting will help...how much fullness falls at the sides is a function of how stiff the fabric is. I think if you compared an A line pattern piece to what you would do with a straight skirt, the results would be very close.

I like the 4 panel suggestion...

• carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    11 years ago

I believe you do mean a flared skirt as opposed to an A-line. A-line center front is on the straight of grain, but flared doesn't have to be - right?

• ksfarm_girl
    11 years ago

I'd suggest Simplicity 2451--it's a nice flared skirt (and there's other options in the same envelope), you can find it for around $6 at Wal-Mart or wait for a Hancock/JoAnn/Hobby Lobby sale and get it for around $1 if price is what is deterring you.

The pieces for that skirt have a pretty distinctive "bell shape". If you are looking for a true A-Line skirt, I've heard lots of good things about the Colette Patterns Ginger skirt pattern...it's an indie pattern though, so it's more expensive, but it also has excellent, hold-your-hand type instructions and some really cute variations.

Hope that helps!

Here is a link that might be useful: 2451 on Simplicity website

• onefineseamstres
    11 years ago

Yes,,,splitting the extra needed onto both front and back will work, IF you had a "hip rule" it would help get the lines exact. That is a longer ruler, curved with a hip shape at the top... you lay it on the pattern piece, with the pattern at the top... spreading it out slightly at bottom and it gives you a perfect line tapering out at the botttom.

Sponsored
Capri Home Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars33 Reviews
Reputable Home Renovation Company Serving Northern Virginia