Return to the Sewing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Babylock serger EVOLVE accessories

Posted by garystpaul (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 14, 09 at 20:57

Just on the verge on getting a new EVOLVE; we're "dealing" on accessories. Anyone have experience re: the usefulness of these items:

the rolling tote bag (for trips to classes, etc.)
the (rather pricey) Workbook
the package of 6 additional feet (cording, elastic, blind hem, gatherer/ruffler, beading, lace application)
the Fabric Guide (BLE8FG)

Any help appreciated.

GaryStPaul

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Babylock serger EVOLVE accessories

I would get the pkg of feet.As for the tote bag,i use a luggage carrier and i make my own tote bags.You should be getting a manual with your machine,that tells you how to do most everything,so look at the workbook and see if it's something you would use,or just another dust collector.

As for the fabric guide,do you mean a special foot,or a guide to tell you what fabric needs what needle??
HTH
Kathi

o

Thanks, Kathi. The Fabric Guide is pictured and described here:

http://www.babylock.com/accessories/?Product_ID=BLE8-FG

o

One of those came with my regular sewing machines,i sewed a lot and never ever used it.If you sew a lot you can pretty well gauge your distance with your eyes,or just stick a couple layers of tape or something like that to the bed of the machine.I do a lot of quilt piecing and seam allowance is pretty critical there,still i never used it.JMO

To me it's not a neccessity,i'd rather spend the money on fabric.LOL,LOL

Kathi

o

I am with Kathi...get the feet. A rolling tote can be found most anywhere, a workbook...never saw the Babylock one but they cost a good bit, serging books can be found easily (I recommend Serging with Confidence by Nancy Zieman), and I don't know what the fabric guide is. But the feet are exclusive to Babylock and you might not find generic ones that will work later on.
Don't know if this is a choice for you but for what the Evolve costs, seems like they should throw in all of it for you.
Just saying......:)
Good luck.
Murphy

o

Hey, Murphy, thanks for taking the time to respond here. In fact, they did eventually throw in everything, minus the fabric guide (which no one uses or even seems to know or care about). The workbook is terrific, if only because it's chattier than the manual, is beautifully laid out and has useful tips, very nice for understanding all the things the machine can do. So far, the single most helpful thing has been the DVD that comes with it: 12 chapters covering just about everything; I'm getting a lot out of it. This is going to be a fun adventure, especially once the sticker shock has worn off. Thanks again to all. Gary

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Sewing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here