Return to the Sewing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
problems with very stiff interfacing

Posted by massagerocks (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 31, 13 at 20:13

I make bags and totes. Recently I've tried purses, using a stiff interfacing, Peltex 71F. The problem I'm having is that the fabric looks creased and crinkled after turning the bags with the lining. I've tried interfacing the fabric first with a weight like Pellon 911, but the exterior pieces still appear badly crinkled after turning and it ruins the appearance. Does anyone have a remedy for this, or use a different stiff interfacing that does not do this?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: problems with very stiff interfacing

There are 2 possibilities I can think of.Are you using 100% cotton fabric?? If so did you wash it first??If not and you are using steam when you apply the interfacing,you could be shrinking the fabric,causing the interfacing to bubble/wrinkle.

I always wash all my cottons before I sew them,better to be safe than sorry.
Kathi

I'm sure someone else will be along eventually to add their comments.Just may be a few days as ths forum isn't very busy.

o

That is a know problem with peltex. I've seen a newer interfacing that is not supposed to do that, but I haven't tried it yet:
http://www.lazygirldesigns.com/products/item/Stiff_Stuff/307/p2c56

I've also used By Annie's Soft and Stable. It's kind of like the foam you find in a Vera Bradley bag,

o

Kathi, i dont wash my fabric for these projects, but the pieces look perfect after applying the interfacing, even after pressing/steaming. it is only at the end, after i turn them out, that they become crinkled, so i think it's caused from the interfacing retaining creases from being so bunched up.

clt3, i hadnt seen these, thank you for the ideas. how do you like the Soft and Stable? any drawbacks? the video shows a nicely supported bag body. i've only used fusible's for my bags, does the sew-in stay in place? would it be stiff enough for purse flaps, and could I still apply magnetic snaps? Thanks!

o

Yes, the Soft and Stable stays in place very well. It works well on purse flaps. I would probably still reinforce the area for the magnetic snap with a small piece of peltex or other heavy interfacing. Many local quilt shops or sewing machine stores carry it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Sewing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here