Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
henryfrank_gw

Help with Vintage Singer T&S 648 Bobbin

henryfrank
9 years ago

Hello all,

I am completely new to sewing and got a used Singer Model 648 Special Zig Zag without realizing they are quite finicky. I am trying to thread the bobbin (get it to sew) and can't figure out what I am doing wrong. I can't find any help online and am getting so frustrated :(. Somebody please help me figure this out. The person I bought it from said it needs a bit of tension work, but I can't figure out how to even do that.

Here is a video of me trying to thread the bobbin and start sewing: https://vimeo.com/101245734

Here is the manual for the model: http://www.singerco.com/uploads/download/a6172931362178d23f294bac5f8cd24f48798c80.pdf

Thank you all so much!

Comments (5)

• kathi_mdgd
    9 years ago

Your first link didn't work!! The second one it looks like a machine i had back in the early 60's,think mine was a #549.I can't remember if that machine has the bobbin that you thread in place,or if you take it out and place it somewhere on the machine to thread it.Let me go take a look at that manual you posted and see if i can help you figure it out.Hang in there for a few!!

OK open your manual and go to page 7,read it and study the diagram.Make sure needle is in highest position.Open bobbin area,push that little lever to the left,and follow the directions exactly how they are written,and you should be able to do it.

Let me know how it goes.HTH
    Kathi

• ci_lantro
    9 years ago

I am trying to thread the bobbin (get it to sew)...

I'm assuming that you have the bobbin wound with thread and need to know how to start sewing--how to get the end of the bobbin thread up thru the thread plate. Those instructions are on page 22 of the manual.

• henryfrank
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the replies. Strange and unfortunate that the video link didn't work. It seems to be working for me here on several machines even when not logged in.

Kathi, I am sorry for the confusion, but ci_lantro is right - I am trying to sew now and not rewind the thread on the bobbin. The bobbin already has thread on it currently. What I do is snap the tab down on the bobbin (the bobbin is wound clockwise and the thread is sticking out to the left, then I close the plate and turn the knob to move the needle - except that nothing is being grabbed :(.

If possible, try to view the link I posted to this one. Maybe it will work if hyperlinked.

ci_lantro - I did what the manual says I believe, but maybe didn't understand a step properly.

Here is a link that might be useful: Bobbin Loading Issue

• henryfrank
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I looked at it again with the plate off and it seems that the rotating wheel from the video that is supposed to grab the needle's thread isn't doing that. The needle appears to be too far from it (maybe). Is there a way to verify this and adjust the needle to be tilted closer to the wheel so the thread gets grabbed?

• shadylady2u
    9 years ago

OK, I just watched the video and I see the problem already. Instead of letting the bobbin thread just lay there, you need to grab the end of it, and pull it over the screw that holds the presser foot in (the one on the left side) and hold it taut. Then start sewing. You don't need to lower the needle first.
    Now it should grab the bobbin thread automatically.

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz