Return to the Sewing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
I want to make a small bath towel

Posted by ginnyginny (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 16, 14 at 17:52

I do not like today's towels. They are too big for me. There are smaller ones at Walmart and KMart but they are too thin.

I'd like to buy a nice soft towel and make it smaller.

Is it easy to finish the edges or do I need to put bias tape on it?

I have a 45 year old Singer without fancy stitches.

Thanks,
Ginny

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: I want to make a small bath towel

The loops unravel ... you would need to use bias tape and even then it might not work.

Have you looked online for smaller towels?

o

I have not looked online for smaller towels. There would be no way for me to feel how soft they were which is as important as the size.

Thanks for the tip about unraveling.

o

A couple of other ways to try. You could just turn a small, double hem and topstitch with a matching thread, but you'd have to test whether your could fit this thickness under your needle or not.
If it's too thick, you could zigzag all around, then run a stay stitch to the inside of that for extra enforcement. Then trim close to the zigzag.
The binding is probably the best way to go, tho.

o

Thanks for the ideas!

I will look online and try the bias tape if I have to make my own.

Ginny

o

I have a lot of hand towels/washcloths that are just zig-zagged. Esthetically, they are not much to look at, but they get me dry. They have held up for years.

o

I"l try the zig zag first Eva, thanks!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Sewing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here