Return to the Sewing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
help with square neck peasant blouse

Posted by tempusflits (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 15, 11 at 17:42

Hi,
I found instructions on the Web for drafting a square neck peasant blouse, but the article doesn't say how to insert the elastic. My current pattern uses a bias tape casing to hold the elastic on my curved neck peasant blouse. But that neck shows way too much skin for a woman my age. If I make a square neckline, I can't visualize how to make the casing to hold the elastic.

Any and all help welcome.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: help with square neck peasant blouse

Have you thought about 4 strips of elastic? Casing over each shoulder and across the front and back bodice. Your casing would be mitered where it meets at the shoulders or not. Whichever is easiest for you. Insert the elastic, sew the ends down and viola. Square neckline.

o

Thank you. I'd thought of four pieces of elastic, but not of sewing them together and then inserting them in a casing. I couldn't get past the idea of them anchored at each end with the thread showing then on the outside. No wonder there weren't any instructions for elastic. Dead easy unless brain dead. Thanks again.

o

Can you permanently gather the front and back sections and just put elastic in the shoulder sections?

o

Four pieces anchored at each end is exactly what needs to be done. There is no reason to have four pieces if you're not going to do that and no reason to cut up the elastic and sew it back together again. You can blind stitch the ends down so that it doesn't show. At any rate, you'll have to sew down the casing openings where you insert the elastic which is going to mean some thread possibly showing. OR,

You could make your casings before putting the blouse together, insert the elastic (4 pieces) anchoring each end of the elastic in the seam allowance. Sew your blouse pieces together and face the backside with either matching fabric or bias tape to cover any raw edges at the neckline.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Sewing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here