Return to the Sewing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help needed for instructions to assist me with my new machine.

Posted by vickster (vecpotager@aol.com) on
Mon, Jul 11, 11 at 17:00

When I begin to sew, a few stitches are taken and then it freezes up and in checking, the thread under the plate is bunched and looped across the bobbin. I cannot determine whether I have inserted the bobbin incorrectly but it has happened for the past two weeks and am unable to correct the problem.

It is a Singer machine model 4423 heavy duty and it sewed fine and I am using thread to sew upholstery fabric into cushion covers for porch furniture. I sewed one so far and didn't have any problem. I had a very old machine which was 50 years old so I am a novice with this one so I need very basic directions. I made sure that the machine is threaded properly but what else could be causing all of the thread bunching up around and across the bobbin that it won't let me sew. After taking two or three stitches, it stops sewing.

Can you explain what I should check again, please.

Thank you. Vicki

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help needed for instructions to assist me with my new machine

Sounds like your bottom tension is too loose (or top tension too tight) or both. Did you get a manual? If so check out the instructions for adjusting your tension. If you don't have the manual, google Singer Manual and see if you can locate one. I lost mine and for a nominal fee I downloaded a replacement, printed it out and it is now stored with my machine.

o
RE: Help needed for instructions to assist me with my new machine

Some machines do tend to tangle and jam threads unless you firmly hold the thread tails behind your work when you start a seam.

Are you using upholstery thread that is significantly heavier than all-purpose thread? And does this machine have a drop-in bobbin? Machines with this style of bobbin are much less forgiving of thread type than vertical hook machines. Also, many types of upholstery thread are not be suitable for use in home machines, and would produce the kind of symptoms you are describing.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Sewing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here