Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nicole___gw

Sewing a sling for a porch swing. DONE!

nicole__
9 years ago

Note: I posted this in the Trash to Treasure forum, but it's really a sewing project.

I got a FREE swing off CL. People throw them away when the seat falls apart.

Here's the sling seat I made:

Then I took old couch cushions, cut the foam into 4" slabs, glued them together with 3M spray glue...and covered the cushions with Sunbrella fabric($7.95 a yd). I used "Meander" for the cushions & "Dimone Flame" for the pillows: (Fabricguru.com)

Comments (12)

• dancingirl_gw
    9 years ago

Oh my! I could take a nap in that....beautiful!

• Laurie
    9 years ago

So well done! That's amazing how you brought the swing back to life. It looks comfortable & the fabrics are beautiful. I could just imagine myself there... iced lemonade would taste real nice sitting in that swing : )

• kathi_mdgd
    9 years ago

Excellent job. We got rid of ours this year,had it for a number of years and i had already replaced the top several years ago.The fabric on the seat still had some life left in it,also sunbrella,but because we live close to the ocean the frame had rusted and one of the legs broke off part of the way.So yesterday i salvaged part of the seat fabric and recovered a cushion on a bench we have on the front porch.I'm all for recycling whenever i can.

You got a good buy on your fabric,when i bought mine several years ago i paid 14.99 a yard,and that's the going price around here ,unless you have a coupon and joann's is having a sale.Although they never have the color/pattern i'm looking for,so i go to an upholstery outlet.
    Kathi

• nicole__
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for all the nice compliments!

My Dh has fallen asleep in it a few times. :0)

The fabric price was only GREAT because it was an online purchase.

I made an additional neckroll pillow, so there's a pair. I used the poly on the outside of those 2 seat cushions to stuff the pillows. I used velcro on the ends of those also.

{{!gwi}}

• jaceysgranny
    9 years ago

Great job! It looks fantastic.

• Liddybuff
    9 years ago

You really did a great job on this "Reborn" swing. You should be proud of your work. I think the previous owner may want it back hahaha.

• margo456
    8 years ago

I know this is an old thread but I hope I will still get a reply. :)
    I have the same type of the swing and all the fabric is falling apart. On my swing the sling and cushion are sewn together but I would like to re-do it with a separate sling and cushions. Hope I can do it since we really love that swing.

What fabric did you use for the sling part? What site did you buy the fabric from.

• powermuffin
    8 years ago

Just in case you don't get an answer from the OP, I would use canvas, which you can get at Joanne's, Hancock's in person or on line. It should be fairly tightly woven and at least medium weight. I would pre-wash it, but I pre-wash everything.

Diane

• thonotorose
    8 years ago

Joanne's sells some very nice outdoor canvas made of 100% polyester. Sunbrella types of canvas are made of acrylic.

If your items are to be in the sun much it is a good idea to sew them with a specialty thread made to withstand the sun.

• margo456
    8 years ago

Thank you powermuffin and thonotorose. I will check both Joann's and online. Planning for it to be one of my winter projects hopefully. :)

• ballardj59
    7 years ago

This is a stupid question but how did you make the sling? Did you make a casing for the bars to actually thread through? I've needed to do this for a couple years and have no idea where to start

• User
    7 years ago

I had a salvaged swing very much like yours that I added new fabric to. What I found is that it did not drain well and it always collected water and debris. I did use an outdoor fabric. This would work better if it was in a covered area, away from rain and sun. But, mine did not last well in the elements. Good luck.