Return to the Sewing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Sewing a sling for a porch swing. DONE!

Posted by nicole__ (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 18, 14 at 17:00

Note: I posted this in the Trash to Treasure forum, but it's really a sewing project.

I got a FREE swing off CL. People throw them away when the seat falls apart.

photo IMG_6840_zps05b57370.jpg

Here's the sling seat I made:

3 seater Porch Swing photo IMG_6849_zpsd7ab25ee.jpg

Then I took old couch cushions, cut the foam into 4" slabs, glued them together with 3M spray glue...and covered the cushions with Sunbrella fabric($7.95 a yd). I used "Meander" for the cushions & "Dimone Flame" for the pillows: (Fabricguru.com)

photo 575ad9ac-915d-4a29-9eef-0542c4cc2e02_zps8c9cd0e6.jpg

photo IMG_6855_zps6ed9236c.jpg

photo IMG_6877_zps84330998.jpg

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Sewing a sling for a porch swing. DONE!

Oh my! I could take a nap in that....beautiful!

o

So well done! That's amazing how you brought the swing back to life. It looks comfortable & the fabrics are beautiful. I could just imagine myself there... iced lemonade would taste real nice sitting in that swing : )

o

Excellent job. We got rid of ours this year,had it for a number of years and i had already replaced the top several years ago.The fabric on the seat still had some life left in it,also sunbrella,but because we live close to the ocean the frame had rusted and one of the legs broke off part of the way.So yesterday i salvaged part of the seat fabric and recovered a cushion on a bench we have on the front porch.I'm all for recycling whenever i can.

You got a good buy on your fabric,when i bought mine several years ago i paid 14.99 a yard,and that's the going price around here ,unless you have a coupon and joann's is having a sale.Although they never have the color/pattern i'm looking for,so i go to an upholstery outlet.
Kathi

o

Thanks for all the nice compliments!

My Dh has fallen asleep in it a few times. :0)

The fabric price was only GREAT because it was an online purchase.

I made an additional neckroll pillow, so there's a pair. I used the poly on the outside of those 2 seat cushions to stuff the pillows. I used velcro on the ends of those also.

photo IMG_6891_zps72fd35dd.jpg

o

Great job! It looks fantastic.

o

You really did a great job on this "Reborn" swing. You should be proud of your work. I think the previous owner may want it back hahaha.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Sewing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here