Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lmeenan

How much to charge for Bridesmaid dresses

lmeenan
13 years ago

I am a senior in college right now, and I am studying fashion and costume design with an emphasis on sewing. I was recently asked to sew 6 bridesmaid dresses fro a woman I don't know- through a mutual friend. I asked for the pattern number sine she had the pattern and fabric already bought. It is an easy patter. 6 pieces, a relatively simply strapless one- simplicity 5561- for anyone who would like to look, but I am not sure what to charge. i was read a thread here about charging for pants and tehre was a lot of discrepancy. I know I am not a professional, so I can't charge too much , but I would like it to be fair to this bride who wants it to be cheaper than purchasing them and fair to me who has to make them... thank you!

Liz

Comments (10)

• kathi_mdgd
    13 years ago

There are several things to consider before you commit to this~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Having done this kind of sewing in the past,i'm here to tell you the pattern may be simple,but your clients may not be.First of all the clients will all be different sizes and some will think they are smaller than they really are,for instance they'll say i'm a 14,when in reality they are really an 18,trying to squeeze into a 14.

Then there are all the fittings,and adjustments,and what kind of fabric will they be using,and did they get enough of it!!

Of course there is the time issue as well,will this be a hurry up sort of thing,or is the wedding down the road a ways??

I did look at the pattern and it does look quite simple,but being very fitted it is going to have it's own set of problems,unless all the girls are like twiggy!!

I'm not trying to discourage you,just want you to be aware and informed before you get into something that may not be beneficial to you in the end.

Oh and then there are those people that will think you should do it for 15 to 20 dollars a dress~~~~~NOT.

Read the reviews on this pattern at Patternreview.com,by those who have already made this pattern and see what they have to say about it.
    HTH
    Kathi

• budster
    13 years ago

Good points all Kathi - how much to charge that's always a sticky question. It could be a breeze of a job or a major headache.....you have to make sure you treat yourself fairly..your bride wants a bargain but you are putting in a huge commitment. I'd drag out the phonebook and make some calls to see what a fair rate is. Budster

• lazy_gardens
    13 years ago

You need to re-check her measurements of the maids, and her pattern sizing, the fabric type, and the fabric yardage BEFORE you give her a price.

Fabric matters: if she bought stretchy or flimsy and wants strapless sheath look, it's not going to work without major lining and interfacing. Charge extra for stretchy or slippery and a lining should increase the cost by at least 50%.

The hardest patterns to fit are often the "simple" ones because any wobble in the seam or bulge in the body is visible.

Are all the maids available for measuring and fitting in one spot or will there be a guess on the size and you will be expected to finish the dresses when they arrive the day before the wedding?

Will they expect you to travel or do they come to you? Charge travel time or they will have you running all over the place.

Don't charge less than you are worth - never less than what you could make flipping burgers - just because you are "not a professional".

• sheesh
    13 years ago

Excellent points above, especially about the fabric; some fabrics are very difficult to work with, others are not.

This pattern is fully lined and boned, so you will need to make muslins for each maid and have several face-to-face fittings, too. Are you also making the jackets?

Actually, given the amount of work and number of hours involved in each of the dresses, I don't see how you could make them for less than they could buy them, and still charge a decent amount. Will you be sewing in your spare time, or dedicating several weeks to the project?

• lmeenan
    Original Author
    13 years ago

thanks for the advice everyone.. after talking with her some more this doesn't sound like a good idea for me. She has a slippery poly satin with or an organza over top and liner... a lot of work.. a lot of effort..especially when I can make the same amount waitressing three nights...

• kathi_mdgd
    13 years ago

Do the waitressing,it's easier,and the people(most of them) are easier to please.
    Kathi

• lmeenan
    Original Author
    13 years ago

thanks for the advice everyone.. after talking with her some more this doesn't sound like a good idea for me. She has a slippery poly satin with or an organza over top and liner... a lot of work.. a lot of effort..especially when I can make the same amount waitressing three nights...

• budster
    13 years ago

I think you made the best decision, sometimes things sound good but when you research it, you spy the flaws. Thanks for posting back, it will help others when they are approached to do sewing for someone else and are uncertain.

• lazy_gardens
    13 years ago

"slippery poly satin with an organza over top and liner"

She'll be lucky to find a dressmaker who will tackle that project for anything she can afford.

It's best to take the dressmaker with you pattern and fabric shopping, or at least a friend who is an experienced seamstress. That avoids the "unsewable", "unfittable" and "not with this fabric you can't" problems.

• dody40
    13 years ago

Not only that, doing custom sewing is not for the thrifty. It is way too much time put into something for someone that wants a bargain. If she wants a bargain, let her shop the outlets.

dody