Return to the Sewing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Bathing suit fabric hard to work with?

Posted by ginnyginny (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 6, 09 at 16:55

I'd like to make a bathing suit top that is loose fitting around the stomach. Fortunately we can buy tops and bottoms separately these days but I can't find a top that works for me being overweight. I have the black swim shorts. I don't do much sewing anymore but if it wasn't too difficult I should be able to do it, especially since I want a very simple pattern.

So my question is, how difficult is it to work on bathing suit fabric?

Thanks
Ginny

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Bathing suit fabric hard to work with?

I have made many suits, but I do a lot of the work with a serger. I don't think they are hard at all.

o

My machine is a 37 year old Singer.
Ginny

o

It's been(seems like a million)years, but I made a suit once on a Singer(made in the 70's)that just had a few different stretch and zig-zag stitches. I don't think the fabric was any more difficult than most knits. Just be sure to use a ball-point needle.

o

Thanks for the information. I haven't worked on knits for 30 years so this could prove to be a challenge.

Ginny

o

I have used spandex to make myself blouses and dresses. With most of it I had no trouble if using a ball-point needle. Once in a while I hit a spandex fabric that made the needle skip stitches. Someone told me that in that case, I should cut some long thin strips of tissue (or any other kind of paper that is easy to tear off when done) and stitch through them as I sew. It could be a bit tricky, as you need to very slightly stretch a knit while machine sewing it, but it does stop the skipping.

o

Oh hey - not to discourage anyone from sewing on the Sewing Forum, but have you looked @ the swimsuit 'tankini' tops @ Target? They have the kind w/ a flared panel - apron-style. I have several I wear w/ black swim shorts & I love 'em - they're about $20 online, but less, I think in-store....

Here is a link that might be useful: Tankinis

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Sewing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here