Return to the Sewing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
favorite vintage machine

Posted by kjmama (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 25, 13 at 16:45

we are trying to decide whether to fix a vintage machine or get another one.
Anyone have a favorite vintage model?
Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: favorite vintage machine

Singer Featherweight 221

o

I have had great success with New Home which is the same as Janome. I had one from the sixties a model 444 that lasted for 34 years. and now I have a 632 that works with cams so it has some decorative stitches. In good shape, it is easy to oil and clean lint out of. I would go with a Janome 4618 for something newer. It has all the same features and is metal based. Should last for a few decades.

o

Singer featherweight 222 (free-arm version of a 221). A very close second is a Singer 201-2.

I have a very fancy computerized machine. Not a thing wrong with it. It sits neglected in a corner now. I love my old Singers. The stitching is flawless.

o

I like my featherweight and my Singer 301, both just do straight stitching except with special zigzag attachment. For fancier stitching the Singer 500 is great.

o

My Mom's old singer 401A is an absolute work horse. It has built in decorative stitches plus cams to do more, overcast stitches, etc. It came with rufflers and button holers too. It's a fabulous machine. I think it was one of the best machines Singer ever made. Only thing is, I don't know if you can get light bulbs for it any more....

o

Pfaff 2011 ... pushbutton basic zig-zag and stretch seam stitching, all-metal

And alas, in the hands of my SO's daughter right now.

o

I'm another singer 401A lover! Learned to sew on on in the early 60,s. I'm a bit of sewing machine addict. I have 2, found another one for my daughter and one for my sister. It's the best machine singer ever made in my opinion. It's such a work horse.

o

I still have Mom's Singer 401A...I think it was one of the best machines they ever made.

I also have Mom's Viking from the early 70s which is also a great machine.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Sewing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here