Return to the Sewing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
adult african pillowcase dress for adult

Posted by lindagirl1 (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 15, 13 at 15:37

I am having trouble figuring the armhole.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: adult african pillowcase dress for adult

I make and sell pillowcase dresses for girls have made hundreds. I figured the armholes out by trial and error and searching the net for the best way. I hope I can explain in a way you understand, I'm not too good at explaining.

I cut a bias strip longer than the armhole. I use my 12" ruler to mark them off. I trace down both sides as a guide. This will give you a strip a little longer and a little wider than you need. I use the assembly line method so it is just easier for me to cut an all purpose size and cut to fit later.

You must cut them on the bias in order for the fabric to fit the curve of the armhole and lie smooth when finished.

Sew the strip along the edge of the armhole right sides together.

Trim the seam allowance to approx 1/8 ". If you do this you won't need to clip the curves of the armhole.

Press the armhole so that the seam on the wrong side is pressed down toward the dress. It should be lying flat open on the right side at this point.

Trim approx 1/4" off the outside edge of the bias strip.

Fold the strip in half toward the inside of the dress, and again once more. At this point the strip should form a perfect facing with the finished seam forming the armhole. Continue to work your way all the way around the sleeve pinning as you go.

When both armholes are pinned, sew it on the machine with the outside of the armhole on the bottom, and the inside on top.

Press smooth after you sew.

Hope I was clear enough and this helps.

o
RE: adult african pillowcase dress for adult

It would be nice if the op would come back and say something,like thanks or that was of help to me etc.JMO
Kathi

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Sewing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here