Return to the Sewing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
can anyone explain this?

Posted by laurenjay (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 26, 07 at 15:17

I have a Singer Featherweight. I start sewing. Everything is fine. Some time goes by. The tension gets out of kilter. I readjust the tension. (I have read the manual carefully.) There is no improvement. I replace the spool of thread with another spool, the same brand bought in the same store at the same time. Then the tension is fine again. Seems that when the spool of thread is more than half used, the bottom stitches get entirely flat. any explanation?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: can anyone explain this?

Is this an old singer featherweight or the new one?

If it is a new one it could be that the quality of "new" singers isn't that of "old" ones. I'd think about returning the machine to the dealer.
Susan

o

It's an old singer featherweight.

o

You might need to adjust the tension in your bobbin case. There is a little screw on the case that holds the bobbin; with a small screwdriver, loosen it just a hair, then put the bobbin back in and try it again. Repeat if needed. Only a very tiny adjustment is needed until the stitches underneath look as even as the top stitches.

I had to do this to my FW but it's drummed into us to "never fool with the bobbin tension!" But that's what that tiny screw is there for.

Hope this helps!
Teresa

o

I agree with what Teresa says. As you sew it could be jaring the bobbin casing some. I know that the upper tension springs can become "sprung" over time too.
Susan

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Sewing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here