Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aok27502

Need tips for rolled hem

aok27502
12 years ago

I need to use my rolled hem foot to hem a satin bridesmaid dress. I am having trouble getting it right when I go over the seam allowances for the vertical seams (six of them). The straight edges between the seams look fine, but the seam allowances won't roll. I have tried snipping off a diagonal piece of the seam allowance, and that helps, but it still isn't right.

I had to cut off 6" from the bottom of the dress, so I have a lot of fabric to practice on. I would appreciate any tips!!

Comments (5)

• pris
    12 years ago

I've never tried a rolled hem on a fabric as heavy as satin so I may be way off base here. I think the double thickness of fabric at the seams is the problem. I think I would try using the foot up to the seam as close as possible and then again on the other side of the seam. Hand sew the hem at each seam after carefully rolling the edges under. You would have six short areas over each seam to hem. If someone has a better idea or maybe know of a better technique than using the rolled hem foot, I would be interested in knowing the solution as well.

• aok27502
    Original Author
    12 years ago

To clarify a little, it's a fairly light weight satin. The parts that are rolling right look very much like the original factory hem. It has just occurred to me to tear apart the original hem at one of the seams, to see if they did anything to the seam allowances.

Off to try that ....

• aok27502
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Ah HA! It does indeed seem that they snipped the corner off of the seam allowance. I'll give that a try, but right now my eyes are tired and the machine won't thread, so I am walking away from it. No need for frustration!!

Any more hints are welcome!!

• sheesh
    12 years ago

I have tried snipping off a diagonal piece of the seam allowance, and that helps, but it still isn't right.
    Ah HA! It does indeed seem that they snipped the corner off of the seam allowance.

Would you mind telling exactly what you did, aok, and if you're happy with the results? I have two satin dresses to hem in a week, and I know the problem you describe.

Thanks.

• onefineseamstres
    12 years ago

I am a professional seamstress..We don't use the rolled hem foot in our shop. Instead we PRESS the hem in place making a crease, just a tad below the fold line. Then you have a nice firm crease,,,, Then place this under the machine and as you hem use your thumb to turn the edge up just a tad. it's easy to get a narrow, little hem... stitched nicely. AFTER stitching take small scissors and clip off hte excess. works wonderful every time.
    A second way...is to cut the hem 1/2 inch longer than the finished length. THEN run the bottom edge thru the serger, which puts a nice finish to the bottom. THEN you can simply turn the edge up and roll it as you hem. Works nicely every time and does away with the seam issues