Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dailycollector

Great Idea For Fabric Selection!

dailycollector
16 years ago

I have a hard time visualizing how an outfit will look made from certain fabrics. Too many times, Ive fallen in love with a fabric, but it looks horrible made into a certain pattern. Or, I canÂt find anything to make out of the fabric. Either way, it gets to be expensive. So, I came up with this great idea, and itÂs a lifesaver! Thought some of you might enjoy this. Hope the pictures come out. This is the first time I've done pictures!

1. When I buy a pattern, I make sure itÂs still available in the pattern book. When the pattern books become available, I get one for each brand of patterns IÂve purchased (McCallÂs, Simplicity, etc.).

2. Then I look through the book for the patterns I have. When I find them, I carefully tear the page out and trim it down so it fits in an 8 x 11 clear page protector.

3. Place the page into the page protector. Taking a black Sharpie marker, outline the outfit you like. DonÂt forget to put in any folds shown as draping, any details, etc.

4. Now, take the page out of the plastic sleeve and cut out the outfit worn by the model. Be careful to leave any skin shown (head, arms, legs, etc.). Some pages show different styles for the same pattern. You can cut out those, too, if you find a style you like. Do as much as you like, but remember to just cut out the outfit, leaving the head, arms, and other exposed skin. It should look like this: http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x172/mkersen/aftercut1.jpg

5. Place the cut page back into the page protector, and when itÂs in all the way, the outline of the outfit should match up with the area you cut away. Here are a couple of examples of how it should look:

http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x172/mkersen/marker2.jpg

http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x172/mkersen/marker1.jpg

6. Now, if you hold the page up, you should be able to see through the area thatÂs been cut away. I place the pages in a 3 ring binder, with a white page behind each one. This just makes it easier to keep them separated.

7. I also copy the back of the pattern that shows suggested fabrics and amounts needed. Then I glue these onto the page IÂve made. That way, I donÂt have to take the original pattern with me to the store, and possibly lose it. Everything needed to make the outfit , is conveniently listed on the page.

8. Anytime IÂm planning on making an outfit, I take this book with me to the fabric store. Just slide a portion of the fabric behind the cut page, and itÂll give you an idea of how it will look. HereÂs some examples:

http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x172/mkersen/fabric1.jpg

http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x172/mkersen/fabric2.jpg

9. Once I make my fabric selection, I place the fabric, along with the original pattern in a large ziploc bag until I have the time to make it. That way, if itÂs a while before I can make it, at least I know which pattern IÂll be using!

10. You can divide you book into different sections (pants, dresses, etc.). This makes it easier to find.

Hope this helps! I know itÂs made it easier for me!

Comments (3)

• User
    16 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Great idea. I have just about stopped sewing for myself because if I choose a fabric that is not black, I don't like what I make.

• dailycollector
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Sorry about repeating my original message, but I didn't know how to put in photos. However, I just read the message from craftylady-2006, posted on the "Craft & Decoration" forum about how to post photos. And it works!!! Whooo-Whooo! :) Maybe now my message won't sound so confusing!!

I have a hard time visualizing how an outfit will look made from certain fabrics. Too many times, Ive fallen in love with a fabric, but it looks horrible made into a certain pattern. Or, I cant find anything to make out of the fabric. Either way, it gets to be expensive. So, I came up with this great idea, and its a lifesaver! Thought some of you might enjoy this. Hope the pictures come out. This is the first time I've done pictures!

1. When I buy a pattern, I make sure its still available in the pattern book. When the pattern books become available, I get one for each brand of patterns Ive purchased (McCalls, Simplicity, etc.).
    2. Then I look through the book for the patterns I have. When I find them, I carefully tear the page out and trim it down so it fits in an 8 x 11 clear page protector.
    3. Place the page into the page protector. Taking a black Sharpie marker, outline the outfit you like. Dont forget to put in any folds shown as draping, any details, etc.
    4. Now, take the page out of the plastic sleeve and cut out the outfit worn by the model. Be careful to leave any skin shown (head, arms, legs, etc.). Some pages show different styles for the same pattern. You can cut out those, too, if you find a style you like. Do as much as you like, but remember to just cut out the outfit, leaving the head, arms, and other exposed skin.
    5. Place the cut page back into the page protector, and when its in all the way, the outline of the outfit should match up with the area you cut away. Here are a couple of examples of how it should look:

{{gwi:2067015}}

{{gwi:2067016}}

6. Now, if you hold the page up, you should be able to see through the area thats been cut away. I place the pages in a 3 ring binder, with a white page behind each one. This just makes it easier to keep them separated.
    7. I also copy the back of the pattern that shows suggested fabrics and amounts needed. Then I glue these onto the page Ive made. That way, I dont have to take the original pattern with me to the store and possibly lose it. Everything needed to make the outfit is conveniently listed on the page.
    8. Anytime Im planning on making an outfit, I take this book with me to the fabric store. Just slide a portion of the fabric behind the cut page, and itll give you an idea of how it will look. Heres some examples:

{{gwi:2067017}}

{{gwi:2067018}}

9. Once I make my fabric selection, I place the fabric, along with the original pattern in a large ziploc bag until I have the time to make it. That way, if its a while before I can make it, at least I know which pattern Ill be using!
    10. You can divide your book into different sections (pants, dresses, etc.). This makes it easier to find.

Hope this helps! I know its made it easier for me!

• dailycollector
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Sorry, I gave the wrong forum for craftylady-2006. She posted her message on the "Trash to Treasure" forum, not "Crafts & Decorations".