Return to the Sewing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
New College = New bed size: Twin to XL

Posted by passport4vicki (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 9, 09 at 12:50

Last year I bought a very nice fitted mattress topper for a twin size mattress. DD's new college has XL mattresses. I would like to find a way to add 5 inches to length. One thought is to buy a fitted XL sheet and sew the topper to it. Has anyone tried to make adjustments to make fitted sheets to fit XL mattresses? She also has 2 sheet sets I would love to use again (instead of purchasing new ones again).
I think the measurements are:
Twin fitted - 39" x 80"
XL Twin fitted - 39" x 80"
I beleive the flat sheets sizes are the sames for both twin and XL twin: 85" x 105", so I should be able to reuse the flat sheets and comforter.
Thanks for any ideas
Vicki

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: New College = New bed size: Twin to XL

I think you have a typo. Regular Twin fitted is 39 inches wide by 75 inches long. My son has an XL twin bed at home and I use 2 flat queen size sheets. It is one of those high top mattresses so needs the extra depth on the sides to tuck it in. I would just get new XL twin sheets if it the bed has a regular mattress. I don't know about using the old twin mattress topper. It would be short either at the head or feet because it is not an XL.

o

Yes, I did have a typo.
The sizes I found online when looking at new fitted sheets:
Twin - 39 x 75
XL Twin - 39 x 80
The mattresses at colleges that I have seen are very thin, that is why she liked a topper.

o

I would just cut the fitted sheet somewhere near the bottom and add a piece 7" wide. 7" to allow for the seam allowances (4 times 5/8") and serge them together. How much deeper does the topper make the mattress than the other way? That would be a pain to adjust for. I got my dd college bedding on clearance; her college started 3 weeks after the big "state" college did and I was lucky to get the jersey bedding for under $4.00. Hope this helps

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Sewing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here