Return to the Sewing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
question about hemming

Posted by munymagnet (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 15, 08 at 12:06

I haven't sewn in several years ( and am an amateur) and have never altered, so I have a question I need to ask.
I am shortening a chiffon dress and need to know how to cut it so that it will be right. I want it to be the same length, very smooth cut and look professional when I finish. I don't want to mark the fabric so I really don't know how to go about doing a good job. Can anyone give me a little advice so I don't make a mess of this?
Thank you in advance.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: question about hemming

Is the dress circular? Rolled hem?

How much is it being hemmed? (Inches taking off.)

Would try to duplicate the type of hem orginally used.

Prefer using regular machine not a serger.

Try this web site.
http://www.hgtv.com/hgtv/cr_sewing_basic_tips/article/0,,HGTV_3323_1399843,00.html

o

Thank you for your help. That is information that needed. I am shortening a floor lenght evening gown to a knee lenght so quite a bit of fabric will be removed. Should I measure from the waist or from the original hem in order to cut the material? How do I mark where I will cut on the fabric so I don't cut a jagged line?
Thanks again for your help.

o

As long as the orginal Hem in tack and hangs even you can measure from the bottom.

Lay the gown on a surface where it would hold the whole gown with nothing drooping over the sides.
What type of hem is in the gown?
Is it tiny like rolled hem?
Does it have like a 2 inch hem?

When making shorter to knee consider a few inches below knee more of a classic length and chiffon fabric very light weight think it would hang better.

Depending on the color I would use a chalk marker, they brush off easily, mark all the way around the mark would of course have extra length included for the hem.
Use sharp scissors, cut along chalk line.

Will check in later to see what type of hem you have.

Hoping this is helping and I am wording it so you understand.

You are very wise to care enough to take precautions before diving right in. It is like painting a room more prep work than actual work.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Sewing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here