Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
totheboonies

Trying to Make Bean Bags....Anyone?..

totheboonies
16 years ago

Hi all! I am trying to make bean bags for a backyard Cornhole (AKA.."Baggo") game. Bags need to be 6 X 6" filled (with 1 lb. either unpopped popcorn or cracked corn). Just wondering if anyone has made these and if so what size you started your fabric out at to get the desired 6X6 filled dimensions? Thanks for anyone that can help!

Comments (7)

• kathi_mdgd
    16 years ago

Use 6 1/2 to 6 7/8" squares.I really don't think it will matter all that much if they are all exactly accurate,since it's just for a game.So i wouldn't sweat over it to much.Just get as close to equal in size as you can and sew with a small stitch,not a big one ,so they don't fall apart.
    HTH
    Kathi

• totheboonies
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks Kathi! I am trying to get as close to the official game specs as possible, but am going to do exactly as you reccomended...just get as close to possible, I am just leery of sewing them too close to 6" and then adding the pound of cracked corn and winding up with itty bitty bags! I'm going to go give it a try. Luckily I got a great deal on the canvas, so I bought alot extra in case I oops up! Thanks again for the response/suggestion! ~Chris

• kathi_mdgd
    16 years ago

Does each bag take a pound of popcorn?? That seems like a lot to me.
    Kathi

• totheboonies
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Yes. They each take a pound or either cracked corn or unpopped pocorn.

Here's the instructions from the official site.....

8. The corn bags shall be made from two fabric squares with a quarter inch double stitched seam on all four sides. The corn bags should be made from 12 oz / sq yd duck canvas and may be any color that is easy to see during Cornhole play. Each bag shall be filled with approximately 2 cups of corn feed and finished bags should be a minimum of 6" X 6" square and weigh between 14 and 16 ounces

• susie53_gw
    16 years ago

My son has made a ton of these, too. He puts 2 cups in each. One word of warning, when storing them place them in a coffee can with a lid. BUT, be sure to punch small holes in the top. If you don't, when you go to use them they will be moldy.. my son made a bunch of them at once, ( someone is always wanting him to make the game).. When he went to get them, they were no good.. It is the moisture in the corn. I know some people use soy beans...

• totheboonies
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Susie53,
    Yikes! Thank you for the advice! As soon as I opened the cracked corn yesterday to fill them (I'm a city girl only a few years into this life in the boonies thing..teehee...had NO idea what cracked corn was except that I am lucky enough to have 2 really great feed stores right by our house!), I was wondering what to do about that! LOL Great tip!

• donnar57
    15 years ago

Dried beans are a better bet to avoid any form of critters finding the bags. The only things they might attract, might be rodents.

I use handmade bean bags in school all the time. The only problems I've ever had with them is that some of my special ed kids will either drool on them, or put them in their mouth. Beanbags filled with any sort of food product (rice, beans, popcorn, etc) can't be washed in the washing machine unless you empty the food out first. I find it much better to just throw them away and make a few more from my fabric scraps.

DonnaR/CA