Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
vacuumfreak

when is a straight stitch machine no longer sufficient?

vacuumfreak
14 years ago

Let me start by saying how much I LOVE my sewing machine. I'm not a skilled sewer at all... I can make pillows and that's pretty much it! I sewed in home ec in school and with my grandmothers as I was a child and sold sewing machines and vacuums at Sears for a couple years (though I was much more into the vacuums since I collect them as a hobby), so I do know a bit about the machines, just not how to do very much to actually make something.

About two years ago, I was looking for a sewing machine as I tripped and fell while over the ironing board and broke my plastic thrift shop special all to pieces while carrying it. I found a lady on Craig's List who restored sewing machines with her husband and she made me an awesome deal on an old metal Brother (resembles the old Singers, I know when people hear Brother they think modern plastic junk, though the one I'm considering to supplement my existing machine has gotten glowing reviews). I named her Gretta. She came wit the original case with the original cellophane still on the handle and an extension table and she works beautifully and is just memorizing to look at. Lately, I've been playing with her and sewing a bunch of 3 and 1/2 inch squares together. Not really trying to make anything, but if a quilt happens I won't be upset!

I had a friend who needed to hem his pants and he knew that I had a sewing machine. When we tried that, I realized that maybe Gretta is inadequate. I think a free arm machine with a blind hem stitch would have done much better. I realize that I can make quilts and aprons and curtains and pillowcases on Gretta... but I may want to start doing applique which I would need at least a zig zag stitch for. It would also be nice to have a machine with an onboard thread slicer (either automatic or manual). I'm not going to (EVER) get rid of my beautiful metal machine or trade it for a plastic toy, but I think a supplemental machine would be a good thing. Just wondering if I'd ever use it enough to justify.

What do you think? What are the limits of a straight stitch only machine? Should I get Gretta a "friend" to keep her company on the sewing table?

Thanks!!

By the way... I'm also considering signing up for the Sewing 101 class at Joann's. Has anyone taken it, and if so, is it any good? I tried to find online what subjects are covered as I don't need to be taught how to thread a needle, but I wasn't able to! Also, if I start taking a sewing class and need a machine, Gretta is just too heavy to be hauling back and forth and I wouldn't want to risk giving her battle scars.

Comments (7)

• oilpainter
    14 years ago

Boy have you got an oldie. It might even be an antique. I bought my first machine 44 years ago and it had a zig-zag stitch. It was so long ago I don't remember if it had more. Almost anything you make today requires more than a straight stitch. Back when they only had straight stitch machines they made buttonholes by hand. There was no overcasting they did that by hand too and other things were done by hand too. Now everything is done by machine--dial it in and the machine does the work.

I don't know for sure what will be taught, but I imagine it will be a whole lot more than threading a needle. However threading whatever machine you do get and winding the bobbin will have to be learned because every machine is different.

When you buy most machines you are offered classes in how to use that machine and it's features for free. A sewing class has little to do with the actual machine and more to do with learning to sew.

The machine is just the tool, much like a saw is a carpenters tool. A saw can cut wood but it takes a skilled woodworker to build a piece of furniture.

• budster
    14 years ago

My suggestion is to just take some time and look at some trade-in machines. Talk to the salesperson and tell them what you would like the machine to do, how you would use it, and a price range. You can test drive all you like, go home and think about it and make a choice. A second machine is always nice (we who have several tend to say "oh they are for back-up" rather than admit we love them all for different reasons - great buttonholes, super stitch options, etc.) A zig-zag is a wonderful additon...I was able to purchase an attachment that enables my Featherweight to do a zigzag. So good luck and have fun.

• kathi_mdgd
    14 years ago

Also check in your area to see if there are any adult education classes,they usually have sewing courses.
    Kathi

• loganhogan
    14 years ago

You might want to consider a serger. I rarely use the zigzag of my machine. I most use it for top stitching something I've done on the serger.
    Susan

• calliope
    14 years ago

I'll take one of those old metal straight stitch machines any day of the week. They literally don't make them like that anymore. No, straight stitch machines don't mean you can't do buttonholes other than by hand! I have, and occasionally use, a late 1800's model treadle machine and there are more attachments on that little sweetheart than I have ever seen with one machine in my life, including a buttonholer. It has bias cones, rufflers, feed dog dummies, darners and things I have never sat down and figured out.

It just really depends on where you want to go with your sewing. I have one of those cheap plastic junk brothers, in addition to four other vintage machines and my mother's wonderful old Necchi and also one of my MIL's machines.

The only options I use often, aside from straight stitch is the zig zag and the button hole and button attaching function a zig zag stitch gives you. I have made at least twelve quilts on that machine. What I dislike about some of the new machines is their lack of ram force on the needle. It's hard to work with heavy fabric.

I just started back into some clothes sewing, and yeah......to be honest a serger would be nice.

• budster
    14 years ago

Vacuumfreak - call Joanne's and ask what the class covers and then decide...you might mention that you are looking for something more indepth than basic "how to thread a needle" , sew on a button kind of thing. There maybe a sewing l02 for you instead. I think the class might start with basics and go onto deeper subjects. Some things you might know already but some of the basics you might have forgotten. Anyway, I'd call and ask what the class covers....speak to the instructor if you can. That is what I would do. Budster

• vacuumfreak
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks everyone. I did ask about the class. I actually went to Joannes and asked about the class but the people weren't very friendly. Maybe because I'm a 25 year old male and not a middle aged woman they didn't take me seriously. I guess I would start with the 101 class and then move up. Theres also a quilting class and one for learning to sew and cut curved seams. I take a very casual approach to sewing bow because for me sewing is more about interacting with the machine than producing perfect results. I adore my old Brother (I think it's from 1955), but a modern plastic machine would be nice to take to classes and to have as an auxiliary machine. I have 40 vacuums, why not two sewing machines? LOL For piecing quilt tops, my old gal will be just fine. The lady who sold her to me gave me a free Nelco zig xag attachment which is nice, but the width of stitch cannot be varied. Thanks again everyone!