Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
laurelzito

fabric cutting table for 60 inch width fabrics

Laurel Zito
9 years ago

I have been looking for a fabric cutting table to use instead of the floor which was recommended by all sewing teachers, but all the tables I am seeing are no more then 24 inches wide. What about cutting out with a lay out of single fabric? Some fabric is 60 inches wide. It would seem to me that width is more important then a long length. You can always cut out part of the lay out, then move the fabric up again. I used to have a fabric cutting table, so I have some experience with how to use them. I would think quilters would like a big wide table for making large quilts. I have a king bed for example or one of the large art quilts to hang on a wall. Can someone suggest a brand or type of table that is at least wider then 24 inches. I know can not get 60 inches, but at least 30 inches. And when they post in cm I get confused by that.

Comments (22)

• lazy_gardens
    9 years ago

My dining room table ... 30x70

Or get a sheet of plywood (48 x 96) and two sawhorses.

• Laurel Zito
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Right after posting I found this:
    Correll Folding Table white 30 by 72 for restaurants
    it plastic and got good reviews
    could be wider in my opinion, that would be better, but 30 seems to max it out.

• talley_sue_nyc
    9 years ago

My mom bought a sheet of masonite to lay on the dining-room table and slid it behind the piano when it was not in use.

It sagged slightly where it stuck off the edges of the table, but it was firm enough. And it was lighter than most plywoods, and had a smooth, no-snag surface.

I use the Dritz/Prym Superboard folding cutting board and lay it on my DR table.

It's 40x72 inches.

Here is a link that might be useful: Prym-Dritz Superboard

• talley_sue_nyc
    9 years ago

Here's another brand of folding cutting board--it's 36x54, so smaller, but still wide enough for 60" fabric folded in half.

The nice thing about these is that they store easily.

Here is a link that might be useful: Simplicity cardboard pattern cutting board

• Laurel Zito
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I have an idea! Two of the 30 inch wide plastic tables pushed together makes 60 inches. I had a pattern with single layout once.

• Lars
    9 years ago

Home Depot has folding tables that are 30" deep, and I also have pushed two tables together to get a larger surface for laying out patterns, especially when making drapes and large tablecloths.

• Laurel Zito
    Original Author
    9 years ago

That would be good, if I can get at home depot, because shipping really costs a lot of these tables. Or else they raise the price of the table to cover the shipping.

• Laurel Zito
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I was looking last night and I saw a 34 inch table, that was for pattern cutting, but it was gone before I could get it. They used to make them in the past. Maybe since women don't sew as much or have smaller houses or just buy the plastic folding tables instead. It is kind of extreme to have to two tables to make 60 inches. It would depend on just how easy it was to fold them and unfold them. It was too difficult, it is not likely one would use them very much and they would end up put away and never taken out.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

I have our old DR table in my craft room....if it's not big enough, then I use the floor.

• ToyeG
    9 years ago

I went to home depot and bought a (2) 4x8 pieces of paneling--smooth on one side, and a piano hinge. I cut each at 54, but you can do 60 and hinged them together, It folds neatly and is not heavy, I usually set it up on two work horses, plastic and also light. Hope this idea helps.

• Laurel Zito
    Original Author
    9 years ago

If one did that would it not flip up in the air if you kind of leaned on it a bit? But, a cheaper solution! (but for the cost of the saw horses. ) I am not sure if I can go cheaper with trying to get the table at a discounted rate. Thanks for suggesting it. I am sure it will help someone decide.

• Laurel Zito
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I had seen the above listing, but it's just for a Matt, just notice the so called Matt is priced the same as a table and there is a photo of a table in the picture, but that is just a Matt, not a table. I did a lot of searching and uncovered that, it made me confused.

• evaf555
    9 years ago

Sorry. Just below the mat is the suggestion

"Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought:"

And the table is pictured there.

• Laurel Zito
    Original Author
    9 years ago

For some reason the link did not work however, and I could not find anything in that catalogue. Although two 30 inch table could work, I have a big plastic matt and it's 34, so a 30 inches table would always mean I have to set up two of them. It's just annoying that I can't find one at 34 inches at least wide.

• kathi_mdgd
    9 years ago

I have an 8' conference table that is 32" wide,and dh put it on risers.It accomadates the 60" wide fabric very well. i have one of those 34x 58" white cutting mats for use with rotary cutters on it.It's a Godsend for me,no more aching back,and enough space/room for whatever i'm doing.
    Kathi

• donnas_gw
    9 years ago

My husband had an old table in his workroom. We bought a big sheet of something in the plywood section at Lowe's (I'm saying "something" because I don't know what it is). It is not plywood, but looks the same size as a sheet of plywood. It has a very smooth surface, maybe some type of drywall, backerboard, or maybe masonite....not sure. It is a light gray in color and is about 5/8-3/4" thick. I had some wide 2" tape (like electrical tape) which I put all around the edges so the fabric would not get caught. We placed that sheet on the work table and attached it with screws from the underside.

This post was edited by donnas on Tue, Jul 22, 14 at 11:22

• talley_sue_nyc
    9 years ago

I saw kathi_mdgd's note about the risers under her cutting table.

I use my DR table for this, and I'm thinking I may get myself some 6" risers, and put them under there when I'm working. Then I can take them off when I'm done--but my back will get a break in the moment.

Thanks for the idea!

• donnar57
    9 years ago

I usually use my dining room table anyway, but when I needed something really wide, I went to my school and used some of the cafeteria tables. If you aren't a parent or teacher and can't use a school's facilities, you could also try a church, Lion's Club, Rotary, etc. Anyway, that's thinking outside of the box here.

Donna

• Marilyn Sue McClintock
    9 years ago

I bought a nice used dining room table and have it in my sewing room. It came with a leaf but I have yet to use it. I have a sewing mat on the top of it.

Sue

• beckyg56
    9 years ago

I have my husbands grandparents farmhouse style dining room table in my sewing room for a cutting table. It works great.

• PRO
    Cedar Creek Pet
    8 years ago

this HTML class. Value is http://t-tliquidator

Go here they sell professional cutting tables 150.00

Sponsored
Fine Designs & Interiors, Ltd.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Columbus Leading Interior Designer - Best of Houzz 2014-2022