Return to the Sewing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
valance w/ repeat question

Posted by chardonnaykj (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 15, 10 at 11:15

Hi, I'm trying to get back into sewing again. I have sewed but many years ago and could always call mom for advice. My first project is going to be valances for kitchen windows. I found a mccalls pattern that is an easy one. The fabric I would like to use has a 25" vertical repeat and horizontal repeat of 27". My windows are huge!! Two of them 70"x70" and one 46"x46". I will be breaking it down into two panels for the big windows. I want to know if the valance for the big windows are 18" will that look ok with the repeat numbers? (THe pattern is for a 15" valance.)I am adding 3 inches to the pattern for the big windows. I realize I will not be able to get the entire pattern in the up and down length, but the colors are just what I need. Any help/advice would be appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: valance w/ repeat question

I don't see how it can work. You'll only have part of the design showing. Then again, without seeing which valance pattern you're using or the fabric, I'm only guessing.
Can you use this fabric for the panels and use a coordinating fabric, like a small check, for the valance?

o

here is a link to the fabric. I hope that helps. I do appreciate your help as I have no one to ask.

Here is a link that might be useful: fabric

o
RE: fabric repeat

OK, that may work, providing the valance pattern you're using is going to be in pieces that are sewn together. So you could cut the bird, say, and use that as the main focus on each piece (I don't know which pattern you're using). However, with such a large repeat, it's hard to say exactly how big each bird is, without actually seeing the fabric in person. If the bird itself is 18 or 20", then you'd have a bird with a chopped off head or feet. I think you really need to look at this fabric in person first, if possible.

o

Thanks for your help shadylady2u. The bird is @ 10" I think. But the way the fabric is set up with flowers scattered around and one other gold medallion, it might work. However as I was attaching the link, I noticed a stripe from the collection and it has the same colors. For me it might be easier to work with a stripe than worrying about the pattern. I'm going to ask the lady at the fabric store if they carry the stripe and compare. Trying to get the sale price. Have you used any online sites to order fabric from? Did you have good luck?

o

If it's 10", you should be OK, but there will be a lot of waste. The stripe would work well.
I have ordered fabric online a few times and had no problems. Only thing, you need to ask for it rolled on a tube if it's a lot of fabric, otherwise they may fold it up and you get a lot of creases that need to be pressed.

o

Great tip on the shipping fabric. I would never have thought of that. I do appreciate your help. I'll let you know how it turns out. Thanks again

o

You're welcome and let us know. I'm sure they'll turn out great! The stripe (or any small print) will be easier and use a lot less fabric too.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Sewing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here