Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
caflowerluver

Is there a good embroidery machine that doesn't cost $$$$$$$$$?

caflowerluver
14 years ago

I would like to learn to do machine embroidery but I can't afford to pay big bucks for a machine. I hope to earn some extra money (DH was laid off in Jan.) by selling embroidered things.

Are there any machines that are good but don't cost thousands of dollars? What brands are the best? I have looked on Craigslist and eBay, but don't know which ones are good ones? It doesn't have to be computerized.

Thanks.

Clare

Comments (4)

• senecagal
    14 years ago

I don't mean to be a discouragement, but have you looked into the cost of thread and other supplies to do this work? You'd have an initial investment in a variety thread colors. Often the less expensive the machine, the smaller the stitch-out area. It would be very time-consuming and more difficult to use a machine with a 4 X 4 area to stitch out a long name or something.

Also, in my area machine embroidery isn't as popular as it used to be and I think people have been going out of that business.

I don't know if there is a non-computerized embroidery machine. I'm sure someone else more knowledgeable can answer that for you.

I hope things improve for you and your DH.

• mary_c_gw
    14 years ago

I'm going to discourage you also.

All embroidery machines are computerized - it's the computer that tells the machine which way to move to form the pattern. In order to make a business, you would need a machine with a large stitching area. These are pricy.

Threads are expensive, and you would need a large range of colors. Stabilizers are expensive. The patterns themselves can be expensive. Sure, there are some free patterns on the internet, but you often get what you pay for, i.e. badly digitized with that "loving hands at home" look.

You'd also be competing with professional embroidery shops, which use multi-needle machines, and can turn out work in 1/4 or less time than you can. You would have to compete with them on price, too.

There is also a learning curve with machine embroidery. The machines are very good, but they aren't magic. The fabric choice, thread choice, stabilizer choice will all affect the outcome.

And where would you sell these items? How would you advertise your services?

• caflowerluver
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for the information. It was just something I thought I could do and didn't know what the big picture was or how much it would cost.

Are there any good machines for just home use?
    Clare

• loganhogan
    14 years ago

Clare,
    I purchased a used machine 3 1/2 yrs ago that had originally been close to $6000.00 and I paid $1200 for it.

Even if you are thinking of one for just your use you are going to have a lot of other expense just as the other ladies mentioned. 2 weeks ago I spent $150.00 buying needles and stabilizer/interfacing at a 1/2 off sale.

I do sell some of what I embroidery, but I mainly use it to make gifts that I give be nicer and cheaper in the long run. If you are hoping to make extra money just know that you are talking about 300-500 in supplies in addition to the cost of the machine.

Good Luck.
    Susan

Sponsored
Ronald J. Smith Interiors, LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Veteran Interior Designer Serving Clients in Upper Marlboro