Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
munymagnet

sewing machine

munymagnet
15 years ago

I want a sewing machine that will satin stitch a wide stitch (how much is a little negotiable) at an affordable price. After looking at descriptions of many machines, I have not really seen the information about stitch width. I will probably have to order something online so trying out a machine may not be an option. Does anyone have a recommendation for a good basic machine that has a wide zig zag?

Thanks!

Comments (5)

• munymagnet
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I would also like to know anything I need to know about buying a machine that I could free style embroidery with using the satin stitch. Information about being able to more the material freely would be helpful.
    Thanks!

• damascusannie
    15 years ago

For free-style embroidery you will need a darning foot, not a big deal. I'd recommend a vintage zz machine. I use a 1960 Sewcraft and it's a real workhorse. It has an adjustable width zz stitch and can power through anything. For kicks, I've done some free-motion zz quilting with it, but it's not a look that appeals to me, so mostly I use it for patching jeans.

Annie

• kathi_mdgd
    15 years ago

You may want to look for one with a 7mm stitch,not sure which one have that these days.

I personally would never buy a machine online,but then that's just me.I want to test drive anything i get and also have back up support,at the ready if i need it.Also lessons come to mind,and you can't get those things on line.

So if on line is your only option then make sure you do your homework,write down and ask questions and come to places like this or other sewing forums to see if anyone has that machine and their thoughts on it.

Always err on the side of caution.
    HTH
    Kathi

• pattiohio
    15 years ago

Agree with Kathi, about testing the machine and a few other suggestions also good advice. (She has done her homework.)

Make a list of all things you want a machine to do.

Take samples of fabrics that you think you will be sewing and go to a few local places where you can test the machines. Try different makes and models, see what works best for your needs. Get prices.

Check prices on line, if local dealer prices seem high,
    make a copy of prices if there is a great difference to the dealers prices. Take back to dealer they may work out a deal, give you some free classes to demo the machine rather than reading the manual step by step.
    The other consideration is a local dealer may service the machine quicker with out having to ship it anywhere.
    Dealers also may give you a great buy on a floor model with full warranty.

Get the best deal for the money you are going to spend

Few things I like is a top loading bobbin, auto threader.

• janene1
    15 years ago

I have had great luck purchasing sewing machines online. But I am also always looking for a certain machine. Make sure you communicate with the seller before making a bid and see that they have great feedback. I have purchased 2 pfaffs in the last 3 months that are great.