Return to the Sewing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pattern weights or pins

Posted by jenni_ca (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 12, 09 at 10:25

Do you use pins or pattern weights when you cut out patterns?
I haven't used pins in years. Don't like them, I tend to move pattern pieces around alot. The pattern weights I found in the store are, for the most part, just to big. I sew for my baby granddaughter and the pattern pieces are small.
My solution was a trip to the hardware store for washers! Just plain old washers. Covered them with scrap fabric and they are working perfect. They are plenty heavy enough to hold things down but easily moved.
Simple to make and look cute too!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pattern weights or pins

I also use washers. I never thought to cover them though. What a great idea!

o

Great idea!
Kathy G in MI

o

I have a sewing friend who made weights from old jeans...she made small squares and filled them with dried beans and sewed a button in the middle of each...she says they work great and don't cost the $15.00 for 8 small weights the fabric store was charging.

o

Ms. Jenni, you are just tooooooo smart and those are just pretty cute!! I use a combination of things and for bigger weights to hold the fabric at the end of the table, I use glass insulators off the old electric poles :^) They are a perfect weight and easy to pick up and put down or push around on the fabric!
Good to see you here...have a good rest of the week!

o

well I am going to imitate you, thanks for a great idea

o

Great idea! Now can you tell us how you covered them?

(I'm still using pins, but would love to make some of these.)

Teresa

o

Those are so cute and practical and fun, Jenni!

Teresa- it looks like she wrapped them with strips of fabric and then probably glued the raw edge down.

o

Flamingo that is exactly what I did! I wouldn't even know how else to do them.
Pretty simple really.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Sewing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here