Return to the Sewing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Sewing room -- countertop height, ergonomics, etc.

Posted by senecagal (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 3, 09 at 8:35

We are in the process of planning/finishing a sewing room and are going to use a laminate countertop. Because I've had carpal tunnel, tendonitis and back problems, ergonomics are very important to me. I am short also, so raising a chair up high enough to work with standard countertop height leaves my feet dangling.

I had intended to go the easy, inexpensive route by just lowering the countertop to whatever height necessary to make the sewing machines at the right height for my elbows, but it just doesn't work. So, we think cut-outs (and building a sort of shelf for the machine to sit on) is the way to go for the different machines.

Has anyone done their own cut-outs for their machines in these countertops? If so, how did you support the machines themselves? My husband is certainly capable of doing the carpentry that would be involved, but we need some instruction or advice along this line.

Any photos or advice would be so greatly appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Sewing room -- countertop height, ergonomics, etc.

Here's a link to a lot of how to's,i'm sure there is something there that fits your needs.
Kathi

http://search.yahoo.com/search?ei=utf-8&fr=slv8-cclean&p=making your own sewing tables&type=

o

kathi- I too have bad injuries- a broken neck, past broken back, so having the right comfort is important. Is there a way you could post the stie so I can click on it? When I try to copy the numbers/letters of the site I don't get any thing except 'error'.

Thank you.

o

I did a search on Google and found several links on the subject. The search words I used are "sewing ergonomics".

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Sewing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here