Return to the Sewing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Top Stitch is great, Bottom stitch a complete disaster! Help!

Posted by onestella (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 28, 08 at 2:07

Hey, I am definitely a novice so bear with me. So I have an old Singer 3105 sewing machine i had to re-thread the bobbin with some trouble but I think I figured it out. It is a top loading bobbin. I am pretty sure I threaded it correctly but I cant figure out the problem. So here it is.

When I sew a stitch the top stitch looks neat but when I turn the fabric over the bottom stitch is a tangled nightmare?? I have stared at the machine for hours trying to figure this out with no luck.

If anyone has a clue and can help I would be really thankful!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Top Stitch is great, Bottom stitch a complete disaster! Help!

Onestella

1. Make sure you are using the same thread in the top and in the bobbin.

2. Adjust the bobbin tension by adjusting the small screw in the bobbin case. I think you turn to the right.

3. Check your machine manual.

Good Luck I know how frustrating it can be.

o

It sounds like you probably have missed threading something when you threaded the bobbin in the case and it's not putting any tension on the bobbin thread. Do you have a manual for this machine? If so, follow the steps for threading the bobbin step by step to make sure you didn't miss anything. I'm not familiar with this model, but it may be as simple as flipping the bobbin over so the thread feeds off it from the other direction.

Annie

o

Goggle "Sewing machine Trouble shooting" and there are some sites which might be of help. I agree with the above posters however and try their suggestions out. Budster

o

might try here....be sure to verify your model number...

http://www.singerco.com/accessories/manuals.html

Here is a link that might be useful: Singer Manuals

o

Know message is late are you using a singer needle, it does make a difference. They are a teensy bit longer.

Are you using the correct needle for your fabric?

My singers are all less than 10 years old, the bobbin thread must be counter clock wise the thread hangs to the left and goes under a little hook, they are all top loading.

o

I had this problem for years. FWIW, my machine is very old. I learned this trick to prevent that infuriating tangle: Put the pressure foot in the "down" position. Pull the thread that is through the needle. If you can pull it easily, your machine needs to be re-threaded. Thread it again, and try to pull some thread when the foot is down. Keep trying!

I would often refer to the diagram in the manual to be sure I was threading it correctly. Usually I wasn't! It sure was frustrating.

Good luck. Let us know how you make out!

o

When you start to sew hold the bobbin thread and the top thread together at the back of the machine and sew 2 or 3 stitches. After the first couple of stitches are in the fabric, you can release the threads. I find this cuts down on the bird's nest of thread on the bobbin side of the item I am sewing

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Sewing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here