Return to the Sewing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
pricing question for pros

Posted by theturtlelady (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 14, 12 at 1:00

I interviewed today at a designer's workshop in the garment district in NYC. I answered the ad asking for someone to do hand finishing on men's suits almost as a lark, to see what they would say. Just as background, this is my second career and while I've been sewing lifelong, I've been sewing for money (and very little of it) for only about two years.

Anyway, I brought a few samples and was really unprepared for the response I got, which was that I had the skills they needed and they want a piece price. Eek! Help, what do I tell them? Has anyone here ever worked in this kind of setting? I haven't a clue what to do.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: pricing question for pros

Years ago I interviewed to be head seamstress at a very upscale dress shop. The rest of the sewers were eastern European women who mostly couldn't speak English, so they needed an American basically. The pay was excellent & the sewers had the opportunity to charge whatever they wanted to a customer if it was a rush job they did on their own time.
What a gig it would've been. If only I could hand sew! I knew nothing about garment construction, esp. hand finishing. I could corner a drape & close a pillow by hand & that was it for me.

My old drapery boss used to say that the way to know your price is right is;
--- If they scream bloody murder when you give your price it's a little high
--- If they jump at your price w/o arguing, it's too low
--- If they try to negotiate it down a bit, it's just about right.
Also, custom sewn goods are prestige goods to the buyers, they want to brag about how expensive it was, check the prices the shop is charging for an idea of how high you can go.
How long do the pieces take to sew?
What's your over head?
What wage do you need per hour? Need to translate that to your time/piece. Remember you need to figure a PROFIT in also!

It sounds to me that you have what they need, so don't under-price your skills. You can always come down, but going up is another story. So many seamstresses price themselves way too low & give away their skills & knowledge...

o
RE: pricing question for pros

It's odd they want to pay piece work on this since it is not a factory/production line setting. Difficult too cause if you are good and faster, you are worth more... BUT even if you are good but slow no one wants to pay a real high price for a slow worker who can't hardly produce. I subcontract work (alterations) in tailor shop and I work as an independent sub-contracter. I get 60% of the charges.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Sewing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here