Return to the Sewing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Have any of you done this?

Posted by barb_roselover_in (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 8, 13 at 0:15

I have lost quite a bit of weight--not on purpose but I don't want to gain it back. I am wearing myself out trying to redo all of my pant hems.and skirt hems. Have any of you ever used the stitch witchery or basting spray or anything like that to do a more or less temporary hem? I am getting tired of changing the thread and bobbin on my machine, or if I put it in by hand, my fingers aren't responding too well. Any tips ? I know that this forum does not respond too quickly for lack of interest, I suppose.--but I need to do these rather speedily.Thanks for any help you can give me. Barb

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Have any of you done this?

I use iron-on hemming web all the time.

It's great, and unless you overheat the web, lasts a long time.

o

LazyGardens=what do you mean overheat the web".You need to hold the iron long enough for it to hold, don't you?Thanks for answering. I was beginning to think noboby read this forum. Barb

o

Don't you have a blind hem foot?
I've never used the hemming tape, but I know a lot of people swear by it.

o

As long as you follow the directions on the package of fusible tape it should hold. Some use lower heat, or shorter pressing times. Example - Heat & Bond directions are different from Wonder Under. If you heat them too hot or for too long they lose their fusing capability.

o

Steam a seam seems to be the best one out there these days.JMO of course.It comes in different widths.If you blind hem on a machine you may be able to get by with just grey or ecru threads.
Kathi

o

It can be great for a quick fix, but over all I do not recommend it. The main reason is, if you later need to let the skirt/pants down again, you've got a mess. That stuff can stick to your clothing and it's hard to ever get off. I have had customers who brought me dresses, etc to "do the right way" after they caked that stuff on and IF I could even get it loose I did charge them quite a bit more for having to clean up the mess. Some of it sticks and even with a warm iron does not want to let go again. On silks, or thinner silk like fabrics it can show thru to the front... It can"let go" if you are not able to heat it well enough to stick it well, some lets go with washing... It may take longer to do it "the right way" but it is always best... Witch stitchery can be a great quick fix, but it's not that great to substitue for real sewing

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Sewing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here