Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ar_dramaqueen

Serger thread??? help appreciated

ar_dramaqueen
15 years ago

I recently bought my first serger, a Janome, I have been using normal spools of thread because that was what I had. The thread keeps getting cought and breaking, so I assume I need a different kind. What is the best kind of thread to use with a serger??

Any tips greatly appreciated,

AR_Dramaqueen

Comments (6)

• bonnie-w
    15 years ago

Go to Joann's and ask for serger thread. It's on a cone and come in different colors. I would suggest you start with black and light beige and slowly add more colors. Serger thread is a lighter weight than regular thread because you are using 3 or 4 threads at one time.

Hope that helps
    Bonnie

• sheesh
    15 years ago

I often use matching spool thread in the just the needle and serge as usual, but I often use four spools of thread when I want the inside of the garment to match and look good but don't want or can't find four cones of serger thread.

A couple tricks: Use the discs provided with the serger; make sure the tiny slit that holds the thread securely on the spool faces down on the spindle; put the disc on the spindle on top of the spools so the thread goes on the outside of the disc. Finally, serge a little slower than you normally would. If your beautiful new Janome didn't come with discs, you can buy them at JoAnn.

Bonnie is right that serger thread is lighter than spool thread, but if you go a little slower and make sure the slit is down you should have good luck with regular thread.

Sherry

• shadylady2u
    15 years ago

I usually use Maxi serger thread, but thread breaking is more an indicator that it's not threaded correctly, the tension is wrong or the needle is either the wrong size or inserted wrong.

• joansews4u
    15 years ago

I only used MaxiLock & I had a stand made that I can use it on my regular mchine for sewing there. I buy 5 spools so I don't have to unthread my serger to borrow a spool for the regular machine.

I understand what you are saying as I tried to use regular spooled thread at times too.

• ar_dramaqueen
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you all for your advice. I think I have it actually threaded right, but the things that hold the thread spools onto the spool rods on back keep snagging the thread and breaking it, so I figured I needed a different kind.
    Thanks to you all!
    AR_Dramaqueen

• budster
    15 years ago

Have you checked to see if either the thread has burrs or the "things that hold the the spools onto the rods" have no little catches? I'm trying to see exactly what you mean there....I know it's simple but I'm just out of loop it seems.

Sponsored
Frasure Home Improvements
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Franklin County's Highly Skilled General Contractor