Return to the Sewing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Foam backed fabric - like for drapes?

Posted by marti8a (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 15, 08 at 20:31

Maybe it's rubber backed, I don't know. Years ago it was hard to find packaged drapes that didn't have that on the back, and now I can't find any that does.

I don't really want the drapes, but just the material. I think it would make a nice tablecloth that would be water resistant for my dining table. I always get water rings on it & hate the vinyl liner I have now. It's stiff and doesn't let the cloth drape.

Does anyone know where I can find any of this fabric, drapes, or another option? I know they still make the stuff somewhere because the nicer paint drop cloths have it.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Foam backed fabric - like for drapes?

check out this company
http://www.customlaminations.com/Window_Treatments_drapery.html

carolyn

o

Thanks Carolyn! I wish they had pricing on there. It sounds expensive.

o

Hi; Go to Joann's Fabric and ask for under pad for a table. It is a quilted fabric and comes with and without a vinyl backing. It's usually 60" wide and you have them cut the length you need.

Bonnie

o

Another option is to check out the thrift stores in your area. I recently purchased a pair for $1.50 that were like new. I'm removing the pinch pleats so I can make a casing for a regular curtain rod. I wanted the insulated ones to help block out the afternoon heat from a west-facing bedroom window.

o

How about purchasing a flannel backed vinyl tablecloth and putting it under your good tablecloth?

JC Penney sells thermal drapes that have the backing you describe. Maybe the thrift stores have a panel or two.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Sewing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here