Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
laurelzito

Mark B Gone Pens

Laurel Zito
13 years ago

I am not happy with Ditz Mark B Gone Pens anymore. They used to be great. I could write all over the fabric. I bought this white one, and then more blue ones, and they were all dried up when I opened them. I thought maybe I should change to another brand like Clover? The pens cost about five dollars per pen and not to have them work adds a huge cost to my sewing. I liked draw on darts, and other things. I also like to mark other notations. Once I sewing the arms of a leotard to the legs, because I did not mark this is the top of the piece of the pattern, this is the arm hole, this is the leg opening and stuff like that. Even if they worked for two weeks, that would be ok. I could buy them in bulk or something if the cost would go down. I can not see how they can charge five dollars for one pen, that does not even work. Dried up before you even start using it.

Here is a link that might be useful: white mark b gone pen

Comments (6)

• oilpainter
    13 years ago

Is there an expiry date on them. You might have bought old pens. Do you still have your sales slip? Even if you don't, I'd march them back to the store.

You might try another way of marking things. I've never used such things. I use chalk or tailor tacks or pins or even pencil marks or an arrow in the seam allowance

• Laurel Zito
    Original Author
    13 years ago

They don't have an expiration date. I had not saved the receipt. I went to Michael's to try and buy the Clover Brand, and when I asked the check out woman if I could return if it did not work, she said, not if I open the package, so I did not buy them. I instead came here to ask what other brands may be more reliable. I could use other marks, but the pens was so easy to write with compared to the chalk. I can write out whole statements like this is the front or notes to myself, the clack only can make a mark that can be hard to see or can rub off. But, I can use magic tape and write on the that. I just like the fun and the spontaneity of using the pen. It's fast and easy. I think the price is too high, so people don't buy them and they dry up on the package. The economy has not been great in CA.

• clergychick
    13 years ago

I use those pens a lot as well, but I've never had one be dried up when new. I can't remember the brand I usually get, but it has a purple cap.

Have you tried moistening the tip with a few drops of water? Let it soak in a few minutes and see what happens; what have you got to lose?

• Laurel Zito
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Water did not help. These are mostly blue pens with white caps, althought it does come in purple, that one still has a white cap.

• blitzyblond_protege
    13 years ago

I too use Mark-B-Gone double ended, disappearing ink with a purple cap. I had one several years ago that was dried-out when i got it home. For the most part they do pretty well. I have also used an ultra fine point Sharpie in the hem allowances or to mark jeans for cutting-off, the line will be hemmed in where it don't show.

a few times i've even used my nephew's washable markers. but i made sure it was on a garment that would be washable.

email customer svcs and raise dust with them. they might give you a free pen.

good luck.

• kathyg_in_mi
    13 years ago

I use these chalk markers and love them! Just about all I use these days.
    Kathy G in MI

Here is a link that might be useful: Chalk Markers