Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
calipepla

Serger makes noise but doesn't work.

calipepla
13 years ago

Brand new Singer serger, right out of the box. It sounds like the motor is whining, and none of the parts move at all. (Meaning, I think, that it's not jammed, as you would see the needles trying to work in that case.) The manual is skimpy and completely unhelpful, as is the Singer website.

Either there is a problem with the motor, or there is some kind of issue between the motor and the serging parts. I do not know what this serger is supposed to sound like, so I don't know if the whining noise is the normal motor sound.

I made a mistake by not buying this from a Singer dealer!

Many thanks.

Comments (4)

• sheesh
    13 years ago

I have no idea what it could be. Even unthreaded the parts on my ancient Singer move. Is there some kind of locking device somewhere to prevent movement during shipping? Sounds like a simple little problem that just needs to be discovered.

Two weeks ago our 'fridge made a popping sound and stopped working. We set out to buy a new fridge, but before we left I switched the load of laundry from washer to dryer. Neither of them worked, either! I checked the breaker box, none was out of line, so fearing the worst we had to call an electrician on a Saturday night. $150 dollars later, after he'd taken off the breaker box and pronounced himself stumped, we were standing in the kitchen when he noticed that the little button on the outlet the 'fridge was plugged into was popped out. He popped it back in and the 'fridge and everything else started.

I hope you have a simple solution like that to your problem. It would break my heart to do without my serger ~ I think I'd rather live without the 'fridge!

• gram999
    13 years ago

It sounds like you need to get your money back.

My only experience with a Singer serger is when I bought one for my DIL. That was 18 yrs. ago & it was $600 - $700. I'm very experienced in adjusting the stitches, & I couldn't get it to serge right.

I have a Bernina & love it. If I had to replace it, I would probably buy a Baby Lock with the cover stitch. The Bernina is expensive, the parts are expensive, especially their presser feet. I just had to replace my throat plate & it was $108. The cording foot was $38.

I have a Janome 6600 sewing machine & bought a throat plate with an accu-feed 1/4" foot for $50.

• murphy_zone7
    13 years ago

I agree with gram999. Go get your money back. If you have problems right out of the box....what will happen later. In my humble opinion and experience, Singer is not the company nor product it used to be. I too bought a Singer a couple of years ago when I wondered if I would enjoy sewing after not doing so for over 30 years and the machine was a disaster. Never could get it to work properly, no manual to speak of and you are right the website offers very little. I still have the darn thing, it is so bad a machine that I don't want to sell it or give it to any unsuspecting soul to endure what I did so It just sits in the closet.
    I kept it too long to return and really wish I had taken it back when I had the chance,
    Life is too short and there are too many projects to put up with a bad machine.
    Good luck
    Murphy

• kathi_mdgd
    13 years ago

Take it back and get your money back,then go to a machine dealer and get what you can afford.They usually come with lessons,and the dealer is available if you need help.Steer clear of Singer,it's not what it used to be!!! JMO
    kathi