Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
iowafarmersdaughter

What are my "mystery scissors"?

I got these scissors in a garage sale box, and can't identify their use. Can anyone tell me what my "mystery scissors" are, and what they're used for? I thought at first they were "duck billed" scissors, but I don't thing they are broad enough for that.

Comments (8)

• noinwi
    10 years ago

I believe they are bandage scissors.

• donna_loomis
    10 years ago

Yep, that's what my thought is.

• iowafarmersdaughter
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I kind of hoped they were some kind of special sewing scissors. I don't want to get an "owie" to put them to use. LOL! But, I'm sure I will find a way to re-purpose them. Nice scissors . . . ;-) Thanks much to both of you for enlightening me on my new treasure!

• donnas_gw
    10 years ago

I wasn't sure what they were either. Do any of you remember when you could buy fabric to make your own flags (and maybe you still can buy it)? I think it was 100% nylon. After you finished making the flag, there were special scissors you used to cut away excess fabric from the back side, if I remember correctly. I made one back in the '90's. Maybe they used embroidery scissors for doing that, but I never owned embroidery scissors, so I guess I used one of my small pair that had very pointed tips. The scissors in this picture made me think of what they used to cut away the excess fabric.

• dancingirl_gw
    10 years ago

You are thinking of the 'duckbill' applique scissors--I believe. The flattened point allowed you to slip beneath one layer of fabric without piercing the main fabric. I still make flags for myself--and usually find my "parachute" nylon at my local Hancock's store.

• donnas_gw
    10 years ago

Thanks dancingirl. Applique scissors are exactly what I'm thinking about. I used to work in a fabric store for almost 10 years...right up until it went out of business...sigh. I can't believe the names of sewing notions, etc, that I have forgotten the names of. In another post someone mentioned buckram. I knew that name, but had to do a search to see what it was, then I remembered!! LOL

• lazy_gardens
    10 years ago

Definitely "bandage scissors". The flattened point slides next to the skin, no jabbing the patient.

They are really useful in sewing too, for cutting the top layer of a stack of layers because you don't risk jabbing a hole in the layer you can't see.

Useful for those multi-layered appliques. Mola?

• Liddybuff
    10 years ago

My hubby had stitches taken in his hand recently and he was amazed that the emergency room doctor was going to throw all the little metal instruments that he used away! We thought they were used again after being sterilized but it seems as though that isn't done there. He asked if he could have them and he came home with 2 sets of tweezers, and two small pairs of scissors. He knew I would be able to find a use for them in all my crafting. No wonder our medical costs are so high.
    I really don't like to waste usable things.