Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
susie53_gw

Jewelry Bags...

susie53_gw
16 years ago

Has anyone out there made the cloth jewerly bags. They are fun and so neat to have made up to give as a small gift. If anyone wants the directions, just let me know. I will post them.. You can make them in all colors... It is best if you have a serger. I don't but I cut them all out and a friend of mine sews them for me. I then finish them up..

They make great teacher gifts......

Comments (23)

• bamasue
    16 years ago

Thanks for offering to share, Susie. I'd love to have the pattern.

• User
    16 years ago

I'd also like the pattern. Can you post a link or email it to me?
    Dianne

• susie53_gw
    Original Author
    16 years ago

You can make these all one color or use two fabrics so when you open it, the pouches are different. I use two, one print and the other a small check or dot.. I usually cut out several and sew them up leaving them flat for easy storage and when I need a neat little gift I finish it up.. So quick and easy to do.

The pattern is simply 2 cloth circles, one 10 3/4" and 7 3/4" . Cut 2 of each size per bag. It is easiest if you cut both out at the same time. Place fabric wrong sides together and cut. If you are using 2 prints do the same thing. Sew them together.. Next I fold the small one in half and press. Fold again in half and press. Do so until you have pressed into 8 pockets. When you are done it will look like a pie that is cut. You will have 8 pockets. Next lay the small circle on top of larger one. Center. If you have used two prints, lay the 2 matching ones facing each other. Next just simply stitch on the lines only on the small one. Next stitch about 1/2" down from the top. Then sew another row stitch about 1/4" below this.
    Now fold the bag in half and mark the center of the two stitching lines. This is where you will make a small slit in the outside print only to put the ribbon throught for the pull tie. I use 1/8" ribbon and thread it through with a small pin. Cut 2 pieces of ribbon about 15" long. Thread one piece all the way through and then do the same with the other piece. When finished you will have two pieces of ribbon coming out each side Tie both ends and pull. Your bag will close up and be a cute little bag. When you open it up you will see the 8 pouches for placing your jewelry.

If I am making several I make a pattern out of thin cardboard such as posterboard or a soda case. Then you can simply lay the pattern on the fabric and draw around it. Fast and easy..

If you have any questions just e-mail me. I will try to help.

• bamasue
    16 years ago

Thanks, Susie! Hang with me on this one for any questions. It is probably much easier than I think once I get the circles cut and sewn and then re-read your directions. I'm such a visual person!!

• grittymitts
    16 years ago

I must be awfully dense- I just don't get it.

Suzi

• susie53_gw
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Bamasue, get as far as you can and then e-mail me and I will try to help. Once you get one made you will see how easy it is....

grittymitts, What don't you get?? Once it is made, it will look like a small drawstring purse. When you pull it open it will have 8 pouches all around the outside that you can place your jewelry in..

• User
    16 years ago

Do you happen to have a photo of it? I'm having some trouble visualizing it also.
    Dianne

• barker_tx
    16 years ago

let's see if this helps

you have a large circle, made of 2 pcs of fabric sewn wrong sides together.

on top of that you have a small circle, made of 2 pcs of fabric sewn wrong side together....the small circle is marked divided into 8ths.

Center the small circle on the large circle...sew the small circle down on the large circle on the marked lines. . . do not sew past the edeg of the small circle.

now sew around the large circle 2 times - not at the edge, but away from the edge by 1/2 " and then again away from the edge by 3/4".....cut the 2 slits at the 12 o'clock and 6 o'clock position. . . run ribbon thru the 'tunnel'...

hope this helps (I too am a visual person)

Carolyn

• susie53_gw
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Exactly... When it is finished it will look like a small draw string purse.. Good job, Carolyn......

• susie53_gw
    Original Author
    16 years ago

If anyone wants a couple pictures of the jewelry bags just e-mail me... I don't know how to post them but I can e-mail them to you.. Also in the picture you will see where I sewed a 3 1/4" circle on the bottom that makes the pouches have a bottom in them..

• User
    16 years ago

Susie was gracious enough to send me pictures, which helped me enormously. This is an adorable project. I'll post them here for the other visual sewers here:
    {{!gwi}}
    {{!gwi}}

• susie53_gw
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thank you so much, Dianne. I am going to learn how to do this.. Notice in the picture that has the bag open. you need to sew a 3 1/4" circle on the bottom to make it have a purse shape plus it makes the pockets have a square bottom.. Enjoy.......

• bamasue
    16 years ago

Pictures are indeed worth a thousand words! Thanks for posting the pics Diane, and thank you, Susie, for sharing this great idea!! I've made 4--Christmas is coming and what a great way to use up a lot of coordinating scraps! Indeed, they do make up in a flash.

• keepeminstitches
    16 years ago

Susie, I made one but was wondering how you finished the top edges of the circles? My serger wasn't being cooperative, so I put wrong sides together and sewed and turned them, but yours are cuter. Thanks for any advice.

Mary

• susie53_gw
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Mary, Mine was serged. I have sewn them and turned them but it is alot more work..

Glad to hear you have made some,bamasue. I used to have some made up to give out as little gifts when needed. They are indeed quick and easy to make. I am going to get a bunch cut out and serged ready to sew together. I have even given them to girls going off to college. They loved them. There is no end to who would love getting one. All the different colors that you can make are so much fun. i even made Christmas and Halloween ones.. just have fun..

Mary, I am sorry it took m a few days to get back with you. We have been gone. We have a place in Southern Indiana and we went down for a few days.

• pattico_gw
    16 years ago

I was looking for pictures and found this...It really doesn't help much...but kind of gives you an idea how to sew it together.

Here is a link that might be useful: fabric jewerly pouch

• pattico_gw
    16 years ago

I'm always looking for little ideas like this to make for gifts and little "thank you"s...

So thank you much for posting...

Oh..and question...around the edges...did you just zig zag or did you use a surger?

I haven't used my surger in probably 8 years...Guess I should get it out and see if it still works...Hope I still have the book so I can thread it.

patti

• jayokie
    16 years ago

Oh, thank you for posting this. I have one I've had for a number of years - over 20 - and I USE it! The person who made it (now deceased) refused to give me directions. I was skeptical, but have proven it over & over, that a chain necklace, gently dropped into one of those pockets, will not tangle ~~ how nice when going somewhere (vaction, weekend trip, anywhere). I really like it.

To help me (I'm more visual, too), I copied your directions into my personal folder for things like this, and then spaced it out between steps. That helps me keep track of where I am & what I'm to do next whether it's trying to sew or bake.

I've printed the pix of the finished product, too. "surely" I can make one :-) or 2, or 3, or ??? Don't have a serger so I'll have to sew/turn the fabric. Again, I thank you so much for posting the directions.

• susie53_gw
    Original Author
    16 years ago

JAYOKIE, I have made them by turning and it takes more time. It works well, also. I have a neighbor lady with a serger and I paid her 25 cents for each circle. She did a bunch for me. When I wanted one to give I just popped one out and finished it up.. People are always thrilled to get one. Alot of people have never seen them.. Mine came with a little jingle typed up and put in the bottom..

They do look complicated but really are very easy..

• fiddlekate
    16 years ago

I love this idea! Thanks for sharing it. I have one... received as a gift...it's out of two shades of pink satiny material. I've loved using it! It's been so long I can't remember who gave it to me... or when. I hadn't even considered making one. Thanks again!
    (I'll start asking around to see who had a Serger though! :)

• danaoh
    16 years ago

do you still have the jingle? Please share.

• susie53_gw
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I sure will.. The secreat is to make it small letters so it can be cut to just lay in the bottom of the bag. I will write it as it looks on my paper.

This pouch will tote
    your jewelry as you travel
    place to place:
    For every little
    heirloom there's a special
    little space.
    Your necklaces won't
    tangle, unscratched your gems
    will be;
    So here's a little
    present with best wishes
    just from me.

Print it off and cut into a circle to fit in the bottom..

When I previewed the posting it appears all in a row. If you wish, just e-mail me and I will do it this way.

Susie

• msmarion
    16 years ago

I've been making these for years. Never thought about using the serger. I give them for gifts and thank you gifts. My hairdresser used to sell them for me for $8.