Return to the Sewing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help with Minky Duvet Cover

Posted by sewnice50 (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 23, 09 at 14:31

I am making a duvet cover for my granddaughter. Her mother has her heart set on decorator fabric on one side and Minky on the other. I have tried to discourage her but to no avail.
I was wondering if because the Minky is stretchy (it is stretchy right?) If I make the Minky side slightly smaller than the decorator fabric side will the duvet cover fit better? If you think so, how much should I undercut it? 2 inches? or however much it stretches???

I have never sewn Minky before I hear it is a nightmare. any advice will help. Thanks in advance!
Sue

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help with Minky Duvet Cover

I haven't sewn with it but I would pre-wash the OTHER fabric but not the minky. I would cut the front and back the same size, but I would select the other fabric very carefully. Read the hints here:

Here is a link that might be useful: Minky Hints

o

I made a two throw blankets with polar fleece on one side and cotton weave on the other. I made them two different ways. One I used a whole piece of cotton fabric, on the other I sewed together four pieces together horizontally. I stitched across horizontally on both sewing both sides together, the one with multiple cotton pieces is more "stable". Oh... I just realized you are making a duvet cover...Maybe sew some backing (inexpensive white fabric or even a bed sheet) to the wrong side of the to keep the minky from stretching and sew across or up and down to make it more "stable". Pin it together and sew from the middle of the fabric to the out side so you don't get too much gathering/bunching up..Preshink everything. A walking foot would probably help, I've never used one though.

o

Another thought, maybe have her come shopping for fabric with you, maybe she will then understand the difficulty and be able to find a more suitable fabric that she would like even better. Sometimes people who don't sew just don't understand why things won't work well.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Sewing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here