Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
thisbetty

dress pattern sizing - related to ready-to-wear?

thisbetty
13 years ago

I am returning to sewing after a LONG hiatus. Can you really

use the pattern pkg. measurements for size? Which patterns are best for fit??

And do any pattern companies include the seam allowance on their printed patterns any longer?

Comments (4)

• oilpainter
    13 years ago

Pattern sizes are often different from dress sizes. No I for one do not think the measurements on the pattern are right. Your best bet if you haven't sewn for yourself for a while is to buy a multi size pattern and the cheapest material you can find and make yourself a test garment. Pin the front and back of the pattern pieces together first and try them against you. That will give you an idea of where to go from there.

Most patterns do have a seam allowance marked on but if they don't it is usually 5/8 inch.

• carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    13 years ago

It really does depend on the garment/style, but if you have already taken your own measurements, definitely don't go by the size number on the pattern, but by the measurements - & the length measurements can be as important as the bust/waist/hip. For instance, I have a short waist & most fitted dresses are too long in the waist for me.

If it's a fitted style, I often pin the pattern together & try it on (carefully) to check the fit. Just measuring the pattern may not be helpful, because ease has been added.

IMPE, standard seam allowances are 5/8" unless otherwise noted - & the directions should say this.

HTH

• calliope
    13 years ago

I think the measurements are pretty close, but keep an open mind when you look at what size it says you are. LOL. I bought some patterns last year after not sewing clothing for twenty years. I am into quilting now and ran across some gorgeous material on sale I wanted to translate into blouses.

I wear a fourteen off the rack because I am larger busted even though not heavy anywhere else. So, I cut out the pattern for a fourteen. OMGosh I am sitting here laughing. I think eighteen would have been a much better guess. I have been sewing since childhood so went on to alter the pattern and let out seams as far as they'd allow, and then lost ten pounds on top of that. They fit now.

So, I don't trust any size on a pattern anymore. As said.......buy some patterns in the mult-size range and even if you have to cut out one in muslin or newspaper and baste it by machine first.........it'll give you an idea before you cut into good, expensive fabric.

• thisbetty
    Original Author
    13 years ago

This sounds like old times. Except then I was size 4 w/no curves but easy to fit.

re: seam
    I really want to know if any companies include that seam allow. on the printed pattern, as in the " olden days".

Thank you.

Sponsored
One Source Systems
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars15 Reviews
Top Choice for Reliable Home Automation & Home Media in Loudoun County