Return to the Sewing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Coronado vintage sewing machine information

Posted by amandalynn (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 9, 08 at 14:13

I just acquired a vintage sewing machine in a hideaway cabinet that appears to be model or make "Coronado". There's not much other information there except a model number and it says "Made in USA".

I've extensively searched via Google, entering these details and haven't come up with very much information, just a few other people who have one and are looking for info too!

Does anyone have a good source for vintage sewing machine information? Is anyone familiar with this machine? Nostalgia is fine too!
(I'm not very familiar with the online sewing communities, just limited to what Google pulls up ;)

Ideally I'd like to find the following:
a) the make (or perhaps Coronado is the make?) and year
b) the owners manual (text online or otherwise, hard copy not required)
c) a source for parts (i.e. needles, bobbins, etc.)

Here's a few pictures for fun. It operates and sure looks like a lot of fun.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Coronado vintage sewing machine information

You're in luck, I collect machines sold by NSMCO (I have about 40 of them) and am considered an "expert" on the company. 8^)

It was made by the National Sewing Machine Company of Belvidere, IL (hence the NCMCO on the plate). The company went out of business in 1954, when it was absorbed by New Home. I have a salesman's folder from 1952 that shows this model, you can safely assume that it dates to roughly 1950-1954, but may be a bit earlier.

Basically, it's an updated version of the National Rotary machine that was sold from the early 1900s right up till the merger. My first collectible machine was/is a National rotary treadle. Your's was sold by Gambles, who used the name "Coronado" on their machines for many, many years. I have one just like it, but without a cabinet.

The finish is called matte, crinkle, or godzilla by collectors, and was first developed by White and then used by many other manufacturers as well. It became popular during WWII because it was cheaper to put on the machines than a shiny finish that required multiple coats and was then used throughout the remainder of National's existence. They used it in at least three colors, black, chocolate brown, and olive gray.

I can give you the contact information of a reputable dealer who should have bobbins for it. She would also have a manual for sale. Her name is Cindy Peters and her e-mail address is: stitchesintime@earthlink.net. Tell her "Damascus Annie" sent you. There is no site on-line that has a manual. I do have a threading diagram at my webshots site in the "National Sewing Machines" album (see the link below.) Feel free to take a look at any of the albums. I have a couple of other rotary machines posted there as well. I'm still working on getting all my machines on the site.

I use a modern needle in all my National machines, but they are just hair too short, so you will need to scooch it down just a smidge in the needle clamp. It's a tricky thing to find the needles in exactly the right size today, we usually have to find a vintage needle case and hope that these needles weren't all sold out. I've been using the scooch it down method for 17 years with no problems.

Let me know if there's anything else I can help you with.

Annie

Here is a link that might be useful: Annie's webshots albums

o

Wow! Thanks Annie, I know I totally scored after reading your expertise. It sure was hard to find info on this little guy so thanks a bunch for all of the helpful details. I will contact Cindy for the bobbins and reference your album for the threading info, that's absolutely everything I needed!

Thanks again,
Amanda

o

Glad I could help!

Annie

o

I just want to say it is a very nice looking machine - very clean and will probably be a great little workhorse. I love the cabinet as well. Isn't it great the information we are able to provide each other with. It totally amazes me!

o

I have this exact same model of sewing machine given to me by my husbands grandmother. Do you have a manual or photos showing it properly threaded? I'm having trouble getting started.

thanks.

o

Here's a link to a threading diagram for you. It's the first picture in the "National Sewing Machines" album. Click on the picture to enlarge it. Hope this helps.

Annie

Here is a link that might be useful: Nat'l Rotary Threading diagram

o

I have a Coronado Automatic Zig-Zag 45-4114 in a light colored wood cabinet similar to the one pictured. I am curious as to how much it is worth. I have the owners manual and attachments as well. Where can I find information about this?

o

Can you post pix of the Coronado ZZ machine? I suspect it's a Japanese-made machine from a bit later in the century (1960s). If so, it doesn't have a lot of value. As we are discussing on a collector's forum, there are very few sewing machines, even really old ones (100+ years) that can be considered investments in the collecting sense.

You are usually lucky to get $50-100 for a working, vintage machine of this period. Even highly collectible machines tend to be pretty inexpensive. I acquired a very rare treadle machine from 1905-1910 (this is the only one that I know of in the original cabinet) for $60 this spring.

Annie

o

Hello,

Im wondering if anyone might be able to help me. I have a Coronado Automatic Zig Zag Sewing Machine Model TAZ 289 with an emblem on it that says "Sold Exclusively by MacLeods Ltd." I have searched everywhere and extensively on the net and cant find anything about this machine. I got it from my mother years ago but dont have a manual for it. Ive used this machine for 20+ years with no problems and just recently the bottom thread has started to break after sewing about an inch. I cant seem to figure out what the issue is.
Does anyone have any information on this or know where I might be able to find a manual for it? I haven't figured out how to post a picture as yet (just joined) but as soon as I do I will add a couple.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you,
Sherry

o

Coronado 99--Your Coronado is most likely a Japanese machine machine in the 60s or 70s. I'd need to see a picture to be sure. Finding a manual might be very, very difficult as so many different Japanese machines were sold in the U.S. at this time.

Annie

o

Hi Annie, thanks for your reply. Here is a picture, I hope this works!

Sherry

Here is a link that might be useful: Coronado Vintage Sewing Machine

o

Coronado

Cornado

o

Hi Sherry--My first guess was right, it dates to the mid-to-late 60s or early 70s and was made in Japan.

Annie

o

Thanks Annie! Any idea if a manual can be found for it?

I also have a 1954 Elna Supermatic (and a manual!!) I got from my Grandmother. Do you know if there is any place to get replacement parts? The rubber drive wheel (in first pic) needs to be replaced.

Thanks again,
Sherry

Elna Supermatic

Elna Supermatic

o

I can't help you with the Coronado manual, but I do know a guy that might be able to help you with your Elna part. See the link below. I've met Ray in person and he's a great guy. His sewing machine repair classes are excellent and his specialty is Elna machines.

Annie

Here is a link that might be useful: Ray White's site

o

Thanks for all your help Annie, it's very much appreciated. I'll check out Rays site too.
Cheers!
Sherry

o

I was just given a Gambles Coronado sewing machine model number Mz 75852. I was wondering if anyone would be able to tell me where I could get a manual for it. It is in a built in cabinet.

o
1960's elna (TSP) model 390B

I know it is made in Tavaro S.A. Geneva Switzerland. It is in a small wooden cabnet and was given to me by a good friend. MIne old white portable died on me. This apeers to be a heavy duty model just what I need to do all my blue jean repairs and quilt piecing. But I would like to know it's history more and where to buy parts for it. The electric foot sounds as if there are loose or broken parts in there.

o

I have a Coronado Automatic 45-4114 also S. M. 5 - 4114 A

I need a new foot control and plug in, which I think is all in one part. Can anyone help me? This machine was purchased
in 1965.

a

o

I was given a portable Gambles Coronado model C the number #G16153599. It was manufactured for Gambles-Skogmo,inc. Other numbers on it are 46-8107 and
SM5-8107A . It has a Brother motor.Can anyone give me a date this was made and where?
Thank you
Mary

o

I was given a portable Gambles Coronado model C the number #G16153599. It was manufactured for Gambles-Skogmo,inc. Other numbers on it are 46-8107 and
SM5-8107A . It has a Brother motor.Can anyone give me a date this was made and where?
Thank you
Mary

o

Hi Annie, You seem to know lots about the Coronardo machines. I just picked up a Coronado Super Zig Zag, Model #117 at a thrift store. This machine is in brand new like condition & sews whisper quiet & does a really nice job. Do you know anything about this machine? I understand that they were sold by McClouds. I've been looking on-line for a manual but haven't had any luck yet although it was very easy to figure out how to thread it, etc. Do you know where I might find a manual? Thanks

o

I aquired a Coronado sewing machine #17132 Model SAZ-2 Deluxe Automatic Zig Zag made in japan. Just wondering if you know when it was made thank you

o

Hello

I recently found a NSMCO Model RBR Coranado sewing machine with the black 'Godzilla' finish. Its looks quite the work horse. Can anyone help me track down spare bobbins and a manual please?

Many thanks in advance.

o

I'm trying to thread a Coronado 1350 sewing machine and was unable to view your Webshots? Trying to contact damascasannie (spelling)? Thank you for any information. I'm just on a whim deciding I want to sew with vintage sewing machines and found my husband's grandmother's in garage. not in the best condition, but maybe some tlc i can use it??!! Thank you, Ann

o

I was just given a Coronado Treadle sewing machine. It has a somewhat native American design on the machine and its cabinet drawers and front are carved with the same design. I was wondering if anyone would know when this particular model with this design was done. Cabinet is solid wood and machine seems to be in good condition except for the belt. Any information would be appreciated.

o

I have a New Davis Rotary and a Graybar that are identical to the Coronado. I have all attatchments to the New Davis and a manual. I picked up the graybar for the cord! New Davis runs well but is a little slow getting started.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Sewing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here