Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
amandalynn_gw

Coronado vintage sewing machine information

amandalynn
15 years ago

I just acquired a vintage sewing machine in a hideaway cabinet that appears to be model or make "Coronado". There's not much other information there except a model number and it says "Made in USA".

I've extensively searched via Google, entering these details and haven't come up with very much information, just a few other people who have one and are looking for info too!

Does anyone have a good source for vintage sewing machine information? Is anyone familiar with this machine? Nostalgia is fine too!

(I'm not very familiar with the online sewing communities, just limited to what Google pulls up ;)

Ideally I'd like to find the following:

a) the make (or perhaps Coronado is the make?) and year

b) the owners manual (text online or otherwise, hard copy not required)

c) a source for parts (i.e. needles, bobbins, etc.)

Here's a few pictures for fun. It operates and sure looks like a lot of fun.

Comments (51)

• amandalynn
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Wow! Thanks Annie, I know I totally scored after reading your expertise. It sure was hard to find info on this little guy so thanks a bunch for all of the helpful details. I will contact Cindy for the bobbins and reference your album for the threading info, that's absolutely everything I needed!

Thanks again,
    Amanda

• damascusannie
    15 years ago

Glad I could help!

Annie

• budster
    15 years ago

I just want to say it is a very nice looking machine - very clean and will probably be a great little workhorse. I love the cabinet as well. Isn't it great the information we are able to provide each other with. It totally amazes me!

• riccitic
    15 years ago

I have this exact same model of sewing machine given to me by my husbands grandmother. Do you have a manual or photos showing it properly threaded? I'm having trouble getting started.

thanks.

• damascusannie
    15 years ago

Here's a link to a threading diagram for you. It's the first picture in the "National Sewing Machines" album. Click on the picture to enlarge it. Hope this helps.

Annie

Here is a link that might be useful: Nat'l Rotary Threading diagram

• curious2476
    15 years ago

I have a Coronado Automatic Zig-Zag 45-4114 in a light colored wood cabinet similar to the one pictured. I am curious as to how much it is worth. I have the owners manual and attachments as well. Where can I find information about this?

• damascusannie
    15 years ago

Can you post pix of the Coronado ZZ machine? I suspect it's a Japanese-made machine from a bit later in the century (1960s). If so, it doesn't have a lot of value. As we are discussing on a collector's forum, there are very few sewing machines, even really old ones (100+ years) that can be considered investments in the collecting sense.

You are usually lucky to get $50-100 for a working, vintage machine of this period. Even highly collectible machines tend to be pretty inexpensive. I acquired a very rare treadle machine from 1905-1910 (this is the only one that I know of in the original cabinet) for $60 this spring.

Annie

• coronado99
    15 years ago

Hello,

IÂm wondering if anyone might be able to help me. I have a Coronado Automatic Zig Zag Sewing Machine Model TAZ 289 with an emblem on it that says "Sold Exclusively by MacLeods Ltd." I have searched everywhere and extensively on the net and canÂt find anything about this machine. I got it from my mother years ago but donÂt have a manual for it. IÂve used this machine for 20+ years with no problems and just recently the bottom thread has started to break after sewing about an inch. I canÂt seem to figure out what the issue is.
    Does anyone have any information on this or know where I might be able to find a manual for it? I haven't figured out how to post a picture as yet (just joined) but as soon as I do I will add a couple.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.
    Thank you,
    Sherry

• damascusannie
    15 years ago

Coronado 99--Your Coronado is most likely a Japanese machine machine in the 60s or 70s. I'd need to see a picture to be sure. Finding a manual might be very, very difficult as so many different Japanese machines were sold in the U.S. at this time.

Annie

• rugerz_telus_net
    15 years ago

Hi Annie, thanks for your reply. Here is a picture, I hope this works!

Sherry

Here is a link that might be useful: {{!gwi}}

• coronado99
    15 years ago

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

• damascusannie
    15 years ago

Hi Sherry--My first guess was right, it dates to the mid-to-late 60s or early 70s and was made in Japan.

Annie

• coronado99
    15 years ago

Thanks Annie! Any idea if a manual can be found for it?

I also have a 1954 Elna Supermatic (and a manual!!) I got from my Grandmother. Do you know if there is any place to get replacement parts? The rubber drive wheel (in first pic) needs to be replaced.

Thanks again,
    Sherry

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

• damascusannie
    15 years ago

I can't help you with the Coronado manual, but I do know a guy that might be able to help you with your Elna part. See the link below. I've met Ray in person and he's a great guy. His sewing machine repair classes are excellent and his specialty is Elna machines.

Annie

Here is a link that might be useful: Ray White's site

• coronado99
    15 years ago

Thanks for all your help Annie, it's very much appreciated. I'll check out Rays site too.
    Cheers!
    Sherry

• ladiehusker
    13 years ago

I was just given a Gambles Coronado sewing machine model number Mz 75852. I was wondering if anyone would be able to tell me where I could get a manual for it. It is in a built in cabinet.

• totaljeep_gmail_com
    13 years ago

I know it is made in Tavaro S.A. Geneva Switzerland. It is in a small wooden cabnet and was given to me by a good friend. MIne old white portable died on me. This apeers to be a heavy duty model just what I need to do all my blue jean repairs and quilt piecing. But I would like to know it's history more and where to buy parts for it. The electric foot sounds as if there are loose or broken parts in there.

• deemom_hotmail_com
    13 years ago

I have a Coronado Automatic 45-4114 also S. M. 5 - 4114 A

I need a new foot control and plug in, which I think is all in one part. Can anyone help me? This machine was purchased
    in 1965.

a

• mocklersr_dmcibb_net
    12 years ago

I was given a portable Gambles Coronado model C the number #G16153599. It was manufactured for Gambles-Skogmo,inc. Other numbers on it are 46-8107 and
    SM5-8107A . It has a Brother motor.Can anyone give me a date this was made and where?
    Thank you
    Mary

• mocklersr_dmcibb_net
    12 years ago

I was given a portable Gambles Coronado model C the number #G16153599. It was manufactured for Gambles-Skogmo,inc. Other numbers on it are 46-8107 and
    SM5-8107A . It has a Brother motor.Can anyone give me a date this was made and where?
    Thank you
    Mary

• Brenda1943
    12 years ago

Hi Annie, You seem to know lots about the Coronardo machines. I just picked up a Coronado Super Zig Zag, Model #117 at a thrift store. This machine is in brand new like condition & sews whisper quiet & does a really nice job. Do you know anything about this machine? I understand that they were sold by McClouds. I've been looking on-line for a manual but haven't had any luck yet although it was very easy to figure out how to thread it, etc. Do you know where I might find a manual? Thanks

• Manjingles
    11 years ago

I aquired a Coronado sewing machine #17132 Model SAZ-2 Deluxe Automatic Zig Zag made in japan. Just wondering if you know when it was made thank you

• FFF_Journal
    10 years ago

Hello

I recently found a NSMCO Model RBR Coranado sewing machine with the black 'Godzilla' finish. Its looks quite the work horse. Can anyone help me track down spare bobbins and a manual please?

Many thanks in advance.

• hop2it2day
    10 years ago

I'm trying to thread a Coronado 1350 sewing machine and was unable to view your Webshots? Trying to contact damascasannie (spelling)? Thank you for any information. I'm just on a whim deciding I want to sew with vintage sewing machines and found my husband's grandmother's in garage. not in the best condition, but maybe some tlc i can use it??!! Thank you, Ann

• ladyslipper1862
    10 years ago

I was just given a Coronado Treadle sewing machine. It has a somewhat native American design on the machine and its cabinet drawers and front are carved with the same design. I was wondering if anyone would know when this particular model with this design was done. Cabinet is solid wood and machine seems to be in good condition except for the belt. Any information would be appreciated.

• Pammerlou
    9 years ago

I have a New Davis Rotary and a Graybar that are identical to the Coronado. I have all attatchments to the New Davis and a manual. I picked up the graybar for the cord! New Davis runs well but is a little slow getting started.

• Lester DeWitt
    8 years ago

I aquired a Coronado sewing machine/table. Original. Does anyone know what it's worth?

• shadylady2u
    8 years ago

Maybe $25 at most.

• Lester DeWitt
    8 years ago

I have a Coronado sewing machine and I too know nothing about it. I say 50's. I aquired it at a yard sale for 10.00$. Can anyone tell me something?

• taoseeker
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Hi Lester

It looks like a Singer 30s or 40s table. They made similar tables up until the 60s, but the styles changed. It's maybe walnut, oak or some other stained wood and originally had a high gloss varnish. The table model might be identified from a catalog, at least if it's Singer, a bit more work if it's another brand. It just looks decades too old to be original for the machine. The machine looks like a 60s or 70s machine. The first zigzaggers with numerous stitch patterns became more available in the 50s, but was mostly US and European made machines. Necchi, Bernina, Elna, Singer etc. were the first of these in the 50s, the Japanese generally came with these features about a decade or so later, with increasing amounts of plastic gears and parts. They competed in the marked mostly on price, sometimes the quality is quite good. How does it sound, still sewing fine?

Edit: I made the assumption it was made machine after Janome corporation bought up New Home among other brands. It actually might be a 50s machine, top models of the 50s had a few extra stitches, but I still lean towards late 60s. Does it say anything about model name or number? A web search might give more detailed info.

• Gina Mancinelli
    8 years ago

Can anyone tell me anything about this machine? Year made, where made, available manual, ect?

• Richard Williams
    8 years ago

taoseeker, I am looking at buying the same machine as Lester, from my friend and the model number is 211A I believe. The one I am looking at is also in a table that is 50s era and looks totally different than Lester's table. Any idea how much I should offer? I am unsure if it is in working order, though, it does have the manual with it. I can't seem to find anything about it on the web.

Thanks, Richard

• Sandy Casper
    8 years ago

I have a Coronado 45-4114 with the owners manual, bobbins, etc. It is in a cabinet as well. Is this worth anything?

• Aaron Sage
    8 years ago

I've got one identical how much are they worth?

• Sandy Casper
    8 years ago

Checked it out & seems to sew quite nicely. I would like to sell it but no idea of how...seems to be very heavy duty compared to today's machines...

• taoseeker
    8 years ago

Hi Richard Williams. Sorry, I'm very late to reply.

These sewing machines with or with out table turns up regularly. They aren't that easy to sell, so if price matters have patience. Sooner than later there will be one on sale for around $50. If they are newly serviced they cost quite a bit more, but often not more than the service its' self, can be a good buy. Some ask a lot for these machines, but personally I'm not into the collectors mind of thinking. I would expect these machines to be used and serve a purpose. They aren't likely to increase in value, and as already mentioned, they aren't always easy to sell. They are often sturdily built, and something similar for sale today would be more like a brand new Janome 22 (it has more stitches though). From any point of view I doubt they are worth more than $100 and that's what I call a top price, but still within reason. For that kind of money I would expect it to be in nice cosmetic as well as working condition.

Vintage sewing machines are not an ivenstment in money value, it's all about what it's to you personally. If you need a machine, I'm sure someone will sell you one for $30 or even donate one. They are in plenty. If a vintage machine is newly rewired and in fully serviced, a lot of work has been put into it. They often go for closer to $170, regardless of brand and model. It's hard to generalize, but unless you go for a very sought after or very rare model you probably don't have to pay a lot for it. They do have a value in their capability and build quality. These 50s and 60s machines are likely to outperform any brand new machine under $400. If they will serve your purpose, they are nice machines. What more money will give you is a nice condition machine right away :- )

I hope my thoughts on the subject helps.

Regards

• Debra Brinn
    7 years ago

Was anyone able to collect the threading instructions from damascusannies webshots thought might share them? I have a Graybar NSMCO RBR

• Kathryn Hubanks-Byrd
    7 years ago

I recently recieved this beauty but know nothing and can find no info could someone help me.......it says DeSoto Rotary........any info would be helpful

• Mary Shubat
    5 years ago

if anyone could help me out with information on this machine. I can't find anything!!!

• Linda Hoffman
    5 years ago

I just inherited a Coronado model 45-4118 SN: JA41 92866 I am having trouble adjusting the tensioner and the feed dogs don't seem to be moving the fabric through. I cleaned out the feed dogs and adjusted the pressure foot, but still doesn't move the fabric through. The tensioner is different than any I have seen before. The dial with the numbers on it, just seems to be loose. Can anyone help me. Also, I would like to know how old it is.

• HU-60237217
    5 years ago

• HU-60237217
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Recently purchased this sewing machine. I found the manual under the bottom drawer.

• Sue Dale
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Vintage sewing machines advice

HELP needed - ASAP

!!! I have found not 1, but 2 vintage sewing machines advertised locally!!! Highly unusual to see in this part of the Northwest USA. The first one is a Domestic w. nice cabinet for $60. The other is a Coronado w. a good cabinet (could use refinishing) for free. The Coronado owner has no idea if it works, but it looks very clean in the pics. Should I get either one of them? I'm familiar w. Singer Featherweights & other vintage Singer machines, inc. treadle. However, I'm not familiar w. these two brands. I don't know whether I could get parts, how easy they are to oil, lube, cost to be serviced, etc. We down-sized to an apartment & a storage unit, so I don't have room for both machines, and any machine would need to be usable - from the start, or after servicing. Any info/advice is appreciated.

• Sue Dale
    4 years ago

Hello - I'm wondering if anyone is reading these entries. It seems like the responses slowed to a trickle after " damascusannie " stopped appearing several years ago. Oh, well......here goes anyway ...I picked up the free Coronado today. The cabinet needs more than refinishing - it requires a total rebuild & glue! After that, the finish is in good shape. The machine is a NSMCO Model RBR Coronado sewing machine with the black 'Godzilla' finish. It is in almost pristine shape. However, it is missing the electric cord, so I couldn't try to sew with it. Instead, I turned the wheel & the feed dogs & everything else seemed to work smoothly. It has the bobbin case & bobbin - with thread still in it! It even has a thread cutter attachment. The lady offering it said that it had been her grandmother's and that she remembers it being used in her grandmother's bedroom. Hence I named the machine "Geraldine" after the original owner.

I took her down to my storage unit for now, but before carefully storing her, I took loads of pics w. my phone, and wrote down every bit of print on the machine & cabinet. (Pardon the sometimes blurriness of the pics. I have Essential Tremors (ETs) plus Parkinson's so I tremor 24/7 and usually use a camera that compensates.)

This is the info I found:

on the machine: NSMCO 110v 90w AC or DC Model RBR N10003 on the bobbin cover, needle sizes w. thread weights, and "Made in USA"

on the cabinet: a metal label that reads "If you write us...or order replacement parts...mention model #M94NS.45.4002" then, Minneapolis, Minn. Los Angeles, Calif.

I'd like to know a lot more abt this machine - what year is she, where was she built, how to thread her, etc. I'd also love to find a manual and bobbins. The problem of the missing electric cord probably can be fixed by our local vintage machine repairman. Can anyone help w. more info?

• Larri
    4 years ago

This link (another forum) has some links discussing Coronado machines, which may be of help: https://wwwsrc.thriftyfun.com/_generator/tf_article.lasso?id=tf97193085

Good luck in your search and Happy Sewing!

• Sue Dale
    4 years ago

Thanks, Larri!

• Erika Schweigert
    4 years ago

Hello my name is Erika and we had found a Sewing Machine at a garage sale last year. We have recently started doing research on it but for the life of me can find none. I was wondering if you would know anything at all about . It is a Coronado DELUXE MODEL STREAMLINE, DELUXE SEWING MACHINE 45-4117 (69-8479) if you need better pictures let me know

• Kathy Weekes
    4 years ago

What it's

• HU-357420279
    3 years ago

Hello, I am looking for a cord for my Coronado machine. Any ideas on where one could be found?

• Jerry Brandenberger
    last month
    last modified: last month

I don't know where I get my information that I seem to have in my head about Coronado, several sources really. Some of it comes from someone who did a video report pre-internet that I have seen, There does seem to be a dearth of information about Coronado. So I think this might be a good place to put out what I think I know, and maybe some one who does the research can correct it.

Coronado was a little ambitious company that wanted to be a part of the modern industrialization of the 1800s, in a large part led by Singer, but they did not set out to be a Singer cloning company; They were into metal work. They had a small plant (picture a brick warehouse with a small foundry and a work yard). They were from the start looking for a good product that would make them good money. It didn't go very well; they did piece work, but their main stay, low profit products were toys. They were looking for a solid product line when the sewing machine opportunity arrived, which they enthusiastically dived into. They got rid of all their non sewing machine making tooling and they made their first sewing machines in house. At that time they decided that they needed a "brand name". The owner was aware of the conquistador Coronado, and he was infatuated with the Southwest though he had never been there, but mainly he like the way it sounded: "It's a Coronado".

Many people do not realize the high drama around sewing machines. Sewing machines led the industrial revolution, especially about machines and factories. Singer might be said to be the first multi-notional :-), and of course while their patents were in force, they had a monopoly. When the patent monopoly ended, a number of firms jumped in the sewing machine manufacturing game, little guys.

So then, National Sewing Machine sets out to consolidate American, non-Singer sewing machine manufacturing. Singer's scale and internationalism as well as National Sewing Machine's name made it plausibly a patriotic business operation, but I think it was simple anti-competitive market consolidation. So after WWII National Sewing Machine's function is taken over by Brother, and National Sewing Machine goes out of business. I would not be surprised if National Sewing Machine and Brother had major stockholders in common at that time.

So Coronado was all in on being a sewing machine manufacturer, but was not really set up for such mass production, and were approached by National Sewing Machine to have National Sewing Machine make their machines. They didn't really want National Sewing Machine to make their sewing machines, but could see that they would never be able to compete and stay afloat, so they made the deal to badge their machines. This was in the 1800s. All the other cloning companies were bought up or went out of business. Coronado survived, but turned basically into a sales company, but they had a solid contract so they could compete as an indy label.

They did make another short lived attempt at doing something on the engineering side. I think the 2 step button holing sewing machine might be the only thing to come out of it. I'm not sure. The only one I have seen anything on is the one I posted about at:

https://www.reddit.com/r/SewingMachinePorn/comments/1ahdwvu/missing_from_the_internet_coronado_451409_sm51409a/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=web2x&context=3

This is an improved rewrite of a post I made there. This is also the machine where I first made note of Coronado, back in the late 1960s or early 1970s. I was a kid.

Is this a two step button holer unicorn? If anyone knows of another, let me know .. or where a manual to this machine, a #45-1409, S.M,5-1409A can be found .

Some investigative reporter wanted to know what happened to Coronado when the department stores closed and the Coronado machines disappeared from the market. He tracked the company down to a one room office in some low rent office building. He finally got a hold of the man running the place, who was seemingly well into retirement. At some point the owner just made a contract with minor department store companies to do the selling and to furnish them with machines made by his suppliers, and he put the business on auto-pilot.

Sponsored
Michael Nash Design, Build & Homes
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars254 Reviews
Northern Virginia Design Build Firm | 18x Best of Houzz