Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
teambrogdon

Where to buy wire mesh fabric?

teambrogdon
18 years ago

I have seen curtains made of a wire mesh fabric (kind of modern looking) - where do you buy something like that?

I am interested in making curtains for my outdoor porch out of it (with big metal grommets) - thoughts?

Comments (9)

• keepeminstitches
    18 years ago

I think you're talking about vinyl mesh. I've made a beach bag out of it. It's also called pet mesh. Nancy's Notions has it in black, white, royal blue and forest green, and I've also seen it here locally in red. It's 36' wide and $8.98/yd. in the Nancy's Notions catalog. Sounds like a great idea...let us know how it turns out!

Here is a link that might be useful: http://nancysnotions.com

• Rene54
    18 years ago

you can buy wire mesh at a hardware store,home store, in the area of windows and screens, it is sold on a roll, some are very soft and pliable, the grommets can be found there too, my DIL and I had a Wedding cake to do and used the wire mesh as a table decoration, all twisted,bunched and poofed up, was a big hit. when I want to try something different I often try a small version then if it works on to bigger and better

• dirty_knees_il
    18 years ago

The fabric you saw was probably something you would have to get from a designer. I've seen some great ones at the merchandise mart. Sounds great for a deck or patio. The big metal grommets (2" DIA.) are quite expensive as the equipment to set the grommets is about $200, and the grommets are about $1 each. If you are going to do it yourself I'd suggest getting the standard grommets at HD -chrome or brass- and using picture wire, attached to the wall with eye screws, instead of a rod. I love the idea, let us know what you do.

• mothermuch_yahoo_com
    17 years ago

would you know what needle I should use to sew on the metal mesh?

• stitchntime9
    17 years ago

You could also consider fiberglass mesh. You really have to watch the metal filings when you cut the mesh with wire cutters and then bend the mesh over twice to form a casing before trying to sew it or the filings will get in your machine..not a good thing to do.

• costumecarol
    17 years ago

If I were going to sew this at all on a machine, in addition to the precautions stitchntime9 mentioned, I would buy an inexpensive sewing machine from Goodwill or Salvation Army for this job.

• mothermuch_yahoo_com
    17 years ago

Thank you for the suggestions. I was thinking of sewing by hand not by machine but I cannot find any needles that could do the job. All thoughts welcome!

• mandrakes28
    16 years ago

I am looking for fine wire mesh to use for wedding invitations. I wanted to cut out a design and attach it to the invitation with ribbon. I need fine wire mesh in cranberry red and can't seem to find it anywhere. Can anyone help? My searching skills on-line are not very helpful to me. :)

• kathyg_in_mi
    16 years ago

Mandrakes, Have you checked out scrapbooking stores?
    Kathy G in MI

Sponsored
Hoppy Design & Build
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Northern VA Award-Winning Deck ,Patio, & Landscape Design Build Firm