Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
terri_ks

Blind Hemmer advice

terri_ks
15 years ago

I have to hem everything for all my family. We are all height challenged LOL.

I want to by a hemmer like I see in the alteration shops. I use to sew,but am not great. What hemmer would work well, be reasonably priced, but look professional. I looked at babylock, but then read a curved needle is better. Thanks

Comments (5)

• User
    15 years ago

I have a very basic Kenmore machine that has relatively few fancy stitches. One of them is a blind hem stitch. I use it when I need to hem pants and the results are quite professional looking.

Have you looked through the manual of your sewing machine before investing in a specialty machine?

You may find you already have the capability to whip up hems at a moment's notice.

• susie53_gw
    15 years ago

I agree with Dian. I, too, have a Kenmore with the blind hem stitch. I never took the time to check it out until lately. I could kick myself because it is soooo simple to do. Check out your machine. If you have difficultly figuring it out send me your address and I will send you a cloth sample. It is quick to do, also...

• jaybird
    15 years ago

I have an OLD Stradivara that does a wonderful blind hem. It takes a little practise to get it perfect, but it does an amazing job!

• joansews4u
    15 years ago

Most blind stitches on a regular machine don't work well on curved areas. The blind stitch machines are good for dress clothes. I have a BabyLock I got when they first came out. It's almost like learning to play an musical instrument...practice, practice, practice!!!

Styles come & go & how I use mine depends on what I am sewing. Mine has been sick awhile so using it was not an option. Baby Lock won't sell a part, they have to work on your machine. Someone backed a chair against it in the sewing room & the plastic presser foot lifter just snapped off. One screw holds it on. We have no Baby Lock dealer & they will not sell parts to another kind of dealer. By luck, I saw an e-bay auction where this guy had a machine for sell & mentioned that he was a BabyLock dealer out in Utah. I contacted him & he agreed to sell me the part. It was $28 plus s/h but that is cheaper than paying that & a service call. I am ashamed to say that I haven't put the new lever on but things have been kinda crazy in my little world & I haven't needed the machine.

They came out in 92-93 for about $800. I got mine in a Back to School promotion for $500. Now Singer one identical, made by the same folks just with a different name on it. Also Nancy's Notions has one. I don't know if it is her brand but it looks just like the BabyLock. Baby Lock does take regular sewing machine needles. I am not positive but it may be commercial/industrial ones with curved needles. There are commercial portables like the BabyLock at Atlanta Thread & supply. Most commercials have a separate motor mounted to the table not the machine.

I have seen them priced from $250 (Sale price)up with an average of $400 to $500.

I have even seen used ones on e-bay. Even though I don't use mine often, I want it in my sewing room. I do alterations some & it is especially professional looking for men's dress pants & suit pants. One of these days I intend to start doing more alterations & with the price of gas...it might be sooner than planned!!

• soonergrandmom
    15 years ago

I had a blind hemmer for awhile and I found that I never used it. I sold it back to the lady that I bought it from when she decided to go back into business. I just keep hemming on my Bernina because it is quick and easy and looks great.

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH