Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
laurie_2008

Blackout Drapery Lining - Sewing Together 2 Widths

Laurie
11 years ago

What method would you use to sew together 2 widths (54" each) of Blackout lining for a drapery panel?

The finished length of the panel will be long...about 102".

I will be lining a toile fabric. The lining is called Roc Lon Budget Blackout.

I have only worked with this Blackout lining once before. It was for a small window that only required one width (54") of lining.

I had leftover lining, so I practiced sewing together two small (15" long) pieces. One way was to put the right sides together and do a single stitch (didn't iron the seam after sewing).

The other method I tried was to overlap the two pieces 1/2 inch and then stitch two rows. When I hold these samples up against a window with sunlight, I do not see any light coming through the stitching. There is no fraying of this lining which makes it easy to use.

Below are pics of my sample stitching using the leftover Roc Lon Budget Blackout.

I used blue thread so it could be seen better in the pics.

Laurie

Right side of Blackout lining. Two methods I tried for joining two pieces (blue thread for practice only, I'll use ivory thread on the real project)

Wrong side of Blackout lining

Single stitch up close (right side)

Double stitching on overlapping fabric

Comments (10)

• kathi_mdgd
    11 years ago

I would put one full width in the middle and sew the other 2 lengths on each side of it.That will be more pleasing to the eye.
    kathi

• Laurie
    Original Author
    11 years ago

kathi_mdgd - Thank you : ) Good idea...I never thought of that. If I understand correctly, you suggest I cut the second width in the middle vertically so I'll have two panels (27"each). Then, I join those two narrower panels to the main panel (54") one on each side.

When joining these lining panels together, which stitching method would you recommend I use?

Laurie

• shadylady2u
    11 years ago

The only time you'd want to sew one full width in the middle and 2 cut pieces on each end, is if you're making a comforter, duvet cover or tablecloth or something similar. Panels are sewn two widths together, one seam. Not only easier, but one seam looks nicer than three.
    Just sew it right sides together, trim the seam and finger press. Only bump interlining needs to be sewn overlapped.
    FYI, they sell much nicer blackout now than that budget stuff.

• Laurie
    Original Author
    11 years ago

shadylady2u - Thank you for responding. Of my two stitching samples above, you suggest the single line of stitching (with right sides together).

It's good to get your idea of finger pressing the seam. I was afraid to use my iron on this lining. So, now I'll see if finger pressing will help it to flatten out a bit.

What is Bump interlining?
    I have already purchased the Budget Blackout for this project.
    For future projects, what blackout liner is nicer than Roc Lon's Budget?

Laurie

• shadylady2u
    11 years ago

Yeah, a single line of stitching. You can't iron it because of the rubbery stuff. If you feel you really need to iron it, just put a press cloth over it so you don't touch it directly.
    Bump is a very thick interlining that feels more like a blanket. It's so thick you need to overlap. FYI, you only need to stitch once because interlining is not seen. Using an overlap with double stitching on a lining that's seen is not an attractive look.
    Here's one of the new blackouts I found at Fabric.com. They also have the bump. Just click on the Hanes linings category. (I buy wholesale and often linings are given different names by different places).

Here is a link that might be useful: Outblack

• Laurie
    Original Author
    11 years ago

shadylady2u - Thank you for helping me out!

I will make sure to use a press cloth if any ironing is necessary.

I think I've seen the thick "Bump" blanket type of interlining you described in my local JoAnn Fabric store. Is that used more for living room drapery or for other applications?
    I assume since it's an interlining, then another piece of "regular" fabric lining needs to be sewn on the back so you end up with three layers of fabric for the drape.

I appreciate the link you posted for the blackout lining you prefer. After viewing that link, I went to Hanes' site and saw that it's also offered in ivory (which I am glad about). I ordered a sample and am curious to feel it and compare it to the Roc Lon Budget. I noticed the Hanes lining you linked to is 100%cotton and the Roc Lon Budget is a cotton/poly blend.

The small window drape I made and lined with RocLon Budget is for a child's bedroom (see pic below). This current Toile drape I will attempt is also for a child's bedroom. Keeping outside noises to a minimum
    and keeping the room dark in the day is very helpful during mid day nap times : )

After this bedroom toile drape is complete, I will move on to another bedroom which needs a new drape. If I like the feel of the Hanes blackout lining, then I'll give it a go.
    It's fun to learn about and try new things. Thanks again!

Laurie

Back side of small BR window drape using RocLon Budget Blackout lining.

• millihansen
    6 years ago

I am also making blackout lined curtains for a child's bedroom window which is wider than either the blackout or decorator fabric, both differing widths, can accommodate. I dreaded the thought of cutting and piecing the fabrics with their resulting bulk, so I am dividing the two panels into 4.

Laurie thanked millihansen
  • Laurie
    Original Author
    6 years ago

millihansen - How did your project turn out? Any pics you can post? I notice all my old pics are not able to be viewed anymore. Not sure how to remedy that : /

• Laurie
    Original Author
    6 years ago

shadylady2u - Thank you.

$400 for photobucket...wow!

I was having a hard time posting photos a few weeks ago on the home decor site. I think I ended up picking on the "Houzz Photos" link, below this box where I am now typing in these words. Then, I was able to "get" the photo from my computer and load it onto Houzz & then it was able to be posted.