Return to the Sewing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How do I add elastic to waistband??

Posted by mollieann (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 9, 08 at 12:58

Wondering if I can add elastic in the waist to a pair of jeans. They fit perfectly everywhere but around the middle - ughhhhhhhhhh. I can get them zipped and buttoned but would ideally like a smidge more room in the waist. If I buy a bigger size, they are too big all over...can this be done?? Thanks so much!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How do I add elastic to waistband??

Rather than put elastic in the waist, I take a couple of small darts in the waist band. If I wear a belt, you can't even see them. Wouldn't it be nice if they'd make jeans to fit a woman with curves?!

Annie

o

I do this alot when pants/jeans stick out at the back waist area. Make vertical slits in the inside waistband about 2-3" from side seams. Insert 1/2" elastic at least 1" shorter than waistband. Stitch elastic using color thread of pants to one slit opening. Stretching the elastic stitch the other end to waistband. The waistband will now be gathered, but when you put the pants on they will fit ! Use a 'good' elastic, one that will not roll. I can never take darts in jeans and end up liking the results. If you need anymore info just ask. Salena

o

Thanks so much for the information!

o

Pretty sure mollieann was asking how to make the waist in her jeans BIGGER, and the two replied with making the waist band more snug with elastic....I have the same question as MollieAnn. Is there any way to take jeans which are too tight in the waistband and retrofit them to expand more, most likely with elastic? Thanks!

o

Renee - Not easily, because the part below the waistband doesn't have any room to expand either.

You could use an extender button:
http://www.wdrake.com/WalterDrake/DisplayItem.aspx?id=303118&ICMP=Search&SourceCode=20509000002

Or, if you can get heavy-duty wide elastic, sew triangular gussets on either side (like ski pants have) ... but those show.

If you did gussets with jeans material it would show less - if you do this, be sure to back up the gusset by lining the entire waistband with something.

Replacing the entire waistband with a strip of heavy duty elastic might work.

o

Well, since Mollieann's problem was in 2008 - she's either figured it out or bought new pants.

I suspect this thread was spammed, and the offending post removed, which is why it is near the top.

o

I like to put elastic around the first belt loop on either side of the zipper and sew it on where the pants fit comfortably. That way I can wear the pants without buttoning it up all the way, though you do have to be careful the zipper doesn't drop down.

o

First remove the waistband and elastic. Then buy a same colour fabric and new elastic as per requirement. And attach the waistband.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Sewing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here